Does a 25 Gallon tall reef tank with a HOB filter need a powerhead pump?

Disoriented

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank just finished cycling today and its ready for coral. If I have a HOB filter do I still need a powerhead pump for the circulation? The HOB is already pretty strong and is agitating the water for the CO2 and O2 to be released/entered.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank just finished cycling today and its ready for coral. If I have a HOB filter do I still need a powerhead pump for the circulation? The HOB is already pretty strong and is agitating the water for the CO2 and O2 to be released/entered.
Yes, I would recommend getting one, very cheap ones can be found on Amazon.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the power head will help keep food and detritus suspended so that the coral can eat the food and the filter can hopefully clean out the detritus.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response! Do you know of a good one that I can use? I'm very knew to this hobby and don't want to get one that's too strong.
Attached are a few links to some different options.

This would be considered an inexpensive option, that would work, but not one I would recommend. Many pumps today allow automatic alternating flow, which these basic power heads can not provide. It is also common for these to break within a one year period.

Here is a slightly more expensive one, but has much better flexibility. I use the small version on my 30 gallon tank, and have been happy with it. Jebao is also known to break down, though this one should be far more reliable than the one posted above. I think this is a great place to start personally. These also allow you to adjust the flow, customizing things based on your tanks design, and preventing the blowing of sand.

The third one is the cream of the crop, when it comes to wavemakers, nobody (imo) does it better than ecotech marine. A very expensive product, but one that often lasts beyond 10 years. I've got several that are very old and they appear to share a similar design to the new ones.

Last edited:

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think it's a necessity to have at least one powerhead, I have two in my 25g.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back