Does anybody else have a LFS that you just can't buy coral from because their coral always dies in your tank?

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite LFS has great owners and a beautiful shop.. but the corals I get from them straight up melt within 2-3 days after introducing them to my tank. Juicy frags that look great, have encrusted or new growth, all aquacultured and and ready to go.. until they enter my system.

I know, I know, you're probably thinking Cheezle, your params are out of wack. Your lighting is too intense, you didn't acclimate properly, etc. and you might be right.. But its just one LFS in particular, their coral hate me and my system. I haven't had this issue with any other LFS or online store I've bought from, its literally just this one shop and their coral. I've thrown in acros, chalices, acans, hammers, etc. after they sat in a UPS box at a Phoenix hub in 115+ degree heat and they were THANKFUL to have been thrown in.. but these corals who have never known a bad day can't handle the change from their system to mine?

Make it make sense!

So, now that my rant is kind of over.. has anyone else experienced that before? Or is it just me and my raggedy tank lol

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Have you brought this up with the LFS? I'm sure they would enjoy the challenge. For me it wasn't a particular LFS but Red dragon was always my nemesis.

OP
OP
Cheezle

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you brought this up with the LFS? I'm sure they would enjoy the challenge. For me it wasn't a particular LFS but Red dragon was always my nemesis.
Not yet but I had planned on it once they get established in their new location. They're good folks so I think you're right, I'm sure they'll be just as confused as I am when I bring it up. The only thing I can think of is the lighting is too intense, they run Kessils on heavy blue while I run AI Primes on higher whites.. but even then I tested the par in my tank, its 100-150 par in the areas I put them so IDK

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet but I had planned on it once they get established in their new location. They're good folks so I think you're right, I'm sure they'll be just as confused as I am when I bring it up. The only thing I can think of is the lighting is too intense, they run Kessils on heavy blue while I run AI Primes on higher whites.. but even then I tested the par in my tank, its 100-150 par in the areas I put them so IDK
Do you have an extra AI somewhere (spare)? You could acclimate them for a longer time with the acclimation setting of AI. Maybe that'll help. How much off is your system compared to them in values for example?

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one i cant buy torches from one i cant buy mushrooms from one i cant buy gonis from....seems to be hit or miss with a select few....so with having multiple shops within an hour drive it depends on what im looking for....but mainly grab stuff from locals and ask about parameters and par. Try to add corals in the evening on ramp down so it has time to rest then ramp up next morning.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this problem from certain people in my area. I think it has to do with different parameters, especially alk. Some people run very high alk, and those coral don't do well in my 8.5 dkh tanks. It could also be a difference in any parameter as well. Lighting, flow, nitrates, phosphates, etc. I always ask what the parameters of the tank is before buying coral now.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back