Does anyone else feel like they're just dumping money down the drain?

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had much luck in purchasing fish or inverts lately. 90% of what I buy usually "vanishes" within a week, sometimes overnight. And by "vanish", I mean that I don't even find a body. It's really depressing because all of the LFS here don't have any sort of guarantee, even if my purchase dies within 24 hours. None of them quarantine their fish, but if you wait, everything gets sold and you're left without anything at all.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For context: I purchased 2 peppermint shrimp last week. The owner put them in the bag with my corals and I didn't see them until I got them home. They were about .5 inches long and were eaten as soon as I put them in the tank. My fault.

But I bought 2 full size ones 2 days ago after a different shop got them in after not being able to get them in for 3 months. I got first pick but the rest were gone the next day. They were 2 inches long. I acclimated them for an hour and put them in and they looked fine. Next day they were completely gone. So I wasted $120 on peppermint shrimp alone

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had much luck in purchasing fish or inverts lately. 90% of what I buy usually "vanishes" within a week, sometimes overnight. And by "vanish", I mean that I don't even find a body. It's really depressing because all of the LFS here don't have any sort of guarantee, even if my purchase dies within 24 hours. None of them quarantine their fish, but if you wait, everything gets sold and you're left without anything at all.
Can you list all the tank inhabitants?
Sounds like someone is eating your new purchases.
Size of tank?

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$120 for 4 peppermint shrimp is ridiculous.

Set up a hospital/observation tank, and buy some from Algae barn or something where they're $10 a piece. If they survive in the hospital tank, either there's something wrong with the tank or the source. Then move them to tank - if they survive - source was the issue. If not, it's the tank - either chemistry, or something eating them.

Don't keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size 55 gallons
Inhabitants:
pistol shrimp + watchman goby
fire shrimp
green, harlequin, pink brittle star
blue chromis
green wrasse
ocellaris and black ocellaris
sea apple
pink sea cucumber

Green wrasse, green brittle star and black ocellaris are new, acquired with the tank a month ago. I have been having these issues for months

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$120 for 4 peppermint shrimp is ridiculous.

Set up a hospital/observation tank, and buy some from Algae barn or something where they're $10 a piece. If they survive in the hospital tank, either there's something wrong with the tank or the source. Then move them to tank - if they survive - source was the issue. If not, it's the tank - either chemistry, or something eating them.

Don't keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.
I know the price is ridiculous. I live in Canada and I am envious of the prices elsewhere. I am not able to order from any shop in the US. If you know of one that ships to Canada please let me know and I will purchase from them immediately.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a bunch of fish that could be sold as "green wrasse". They range from "might be safe with small shrimp" to " absolutely isn't safe with small shrimp".

Do you know species name?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That wrasse ate your shrimp, ill bet.
Doesn't explain problems before though.
I have a blue spot puffer listed as reef compatible with caution, like the pastel green wrasse.
Reef compatible he is not,

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could it be my fire shrimp?? i don't understand how he's survived through all of this, i've lost so many shrimp and he's the only one who has survived

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That wrasse ate your shrimp, ill bet.
Doesn't explain problems before though.
I have a blue spot puffer listed as reef compatible with caution, like the pastel green wrasse.
Reef compatible he is not,
I can see how he could have eaten the first two (practically baby) shrimp that I purchased. I should have returned them when I saw how small they were. Those two, definitely on me.

As for the second pair I bought, they were easily the same size as my fire shrimp, who is very much alive and well.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can feel your pain but its the chance you take in this hobby. Every new addition is a stress event....will they get along, will it live, am I introducing something that may infect the rest of the tank, etc, etc. Even the best quarantine practices arn’t bulletproof. This hobby definitely isn’t like having a dog or cat, haha :p

Be glad you just didn’t burn a grand in less than two days on livestock that died, like I did. It’s super sad and frustrating but also very beautiful and rewarding. Hang in there :)

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd put money on the fire shrimp doing away with them. They're quite territorial.

But, It's worth waiting an hour after the tank lights go out, and searching around with a red flashlight. You might be surprised by what you see.

New Jersey REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
62350706-83C9-4822-92A2-292511AE9CF6.gif

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 51 53.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.4%
Back