Does anyone else feel like they're just dumping money down the drain?

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other comment. If you bought the peppermints to solve an aiptasia problem rather than just an interesting creature to look at, you might consider berghia nudibranchs instead. Yes, they're more expensive than peppermints, at least in the US, but they're also highly effective if you put enough in the tank (generally a minimum of 10).

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only feel I'm duping money down the drain when stuff just dies for no reason when my parameter are perfect

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other comment. If you bought the peppermints to solve an aiptasia problem rather than just an interesting creature to look at, you might consider berghia nudibranchs instead. Yes, they're more expensive than peppermints, at least in the US, but they're also highly effective if you put enough in the tank (generally a minimum of 10).

My LFS brought in berghias with the same shipment as the peppermint shrimp. He only got 2 and they were about half an inch long. Would my wrasse not just eat him? I was thinking of just getting an aiptasia eating filefish

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the people saying bobbit worm, this was a reefer 250 that I purchased second hand from someone and added my own rock to. I took every rock out by hand and had to thoroughly sift through the sand to get the wrasse. There were absolutely no bobbit worms or pests other than aiptasia, and certainly nothing big enough to eat two adult peppermint shrimp

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS brought in berghias with the same shipment as the peppermint shrimp. He only got 2 and they were about half an inch long. Would my wrasse not just eat him? I was thinking of just getting an aiptasia eating filefish
I have a filefish. He cleaned up the aptasia in 1 small tank, but after I moved him to another tank he hasnt touched the aptasia.
I think he's too well fed.
They also will bother rock flowers and some corals.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may wish to deal with ReefTown directly. The guy that runs it has been absolutely superb in delivering what was promised, shipping promptly, and giving e-mail updates when shipped. It's hard to know how long customs might take, but if the shipment is kept in reasonable temperatures, you should be good for up to 3 days (berghias don't consume nearly the amount of O2 as fish or other inverts).

It's hard to say what will happen with your wrasse. The key to introducing berghias is to do it after the tank's light goes off and the wrasse has gone to sleep. In my particular case, I finished a course of berghia treatment with a meleagris wrasse with no issues. But I can't say what will happen with your particular wrasse.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may wish to deal with ReefTown directly. The guy that runs it has been absolutely superb in delivering what was promised, shipping promptly, and giving e-mail updates when shipped. It's hard to know how long customs might take, but if the shipment is kept in reasonable temperatures, you should be good for up to 3 days (berghias don't consume nearly the amount of O2 as fish or other inverts).

It's hard to say what will happen with your wrasse. The key to introducing berghias is to do it after the tank's light goes off and the wrasse has gone to sleep. In my particular case, I finished a course of berghia treatment with a meleagris wrasse with no issues. But I can't say what will happen with your particular wrasse.

I live in Canada, I can't order any livestock from the US :(

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm - I wasn't aware that was illegal, just that people preferred not to do it because of the delay in customs.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only see my Peppermints come out of hiding when it is dark. I have gone for many months without seeing one, then bam, LOOK ITS A PEP!!
This. ^^^^ I had 8 of them in an old tank and saw them maybe 4 times in 3 years. It was like winning the lottery when I caught a glimpse.

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally feel the same way and I even fed my hawk fish a scarlet cleaner shrimp too. I can just say that as your tank matures it gets better. I don’t lose nearly as many coral now, though nothing is bullet proof still. But yea, many a time I have felt like I‘m lighting hundred dollar bills on fire!

jesspal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally feel the same way and I even fed my hawk fish a scarlet cleaner shrimp too. I can just say that as your tank matures it gets better. I don’t lose nearly as many coral now, though nothing is bullet proof still. But yea, many a time I have felt like I‘m lighting hundred dollar bills on fire!
My corals do well, the fish sometimes have some complications occur. Pumps of death, bully clownfish, but now I have gotten those issues sorted and things are going well. The hermit crab gang has stopped doing drive by's on the snail possee after I added some spare shells.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back