Does anyone else hate the smell of phyto?

Well do you?

• Total voters
OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah definitely. Did you keep it refrigerated? Possible it went bad on ya if you left it out of refrigeration for too long. I am generally familiar with reef nutrition because I use their R.O.E. and oyster feast, etc. but I am not as familiar with that particular product.
It's always been refridgerated. But, I did get it from my LFS and my area is pretty hot 90s in the summer. So maybe it went bad during shipment. I dunno. :(

It's always had that smell to it since the day I opened it.

ReefChasers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always been refridgerated. But, I did get it from my LFS and my area is pretty hot 90s in the summer. So maybe it went bad during shipment. I dunno. :(

It's always had that smell to it since the day I opened it.
I see, also when buying from the LFS you don't know how long it's been in stock etc. so that could be an issue. Live phyto can last a long time in refrigeration temperatures (if shaken rigorously twice weekly) but in the LFS setting it could be difficult to know the production date and their refrigeration practices.

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it's weird because it doesn't smell rotten. Just sweet e,e
And when I search, reef nutrition commented in a different thread that sulfur smell is when it's bad.

ReefChasers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it's weird because it doesn't smell rotten. Just sweet e,e
And when I search, reef nutrition commented in a different thread that sulfur smell is when it's bad.
Well, perhaps this particular product just has a strange scent to it for one reason or another. If it's not particularly foul smelling then I wouldn't worry too much. If it gets really fouled up you would know it.

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I wouldn’t take a sip… but I don’t mind it so far, smells like “nutrition” :p

that being said, I’m new to dosing phyto, is “Phyto-feast” a good choice or nah?

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been a fun thread to read through! Working at a 1.5 million gallon phytoplankton farm, you get used to the smell. It's unique, for sure. For some, it's an acquired taste. LOL

Sounds like you understand the most important part of this: if it smells like rotten eggs, then it's bad. Other than that, the odor is just how concentrated algae smells. If it smells the same on day one as now, then it is fine. We have a "best buy" date on the bottle, so be sure to reference that if you are concerned the food is nearing the end of its shelf-life.

Thanks for posting this discussion here. It's great for folks to learn about this aspect of our phytoplankton.

If anyone has any other questions, don't hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Best,
Chad

OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been a fun thread to read through! Working at a 1.5 million gallon phytoplankton farm, you get used to the smell. It's unique, for sure. For some, it's an acquired taste. LOL

Sounds like you understand the most important part of this: if it smells like rotten eggs, then it's bad. Other than that, the odor is just how concentrated algae smells. If it smells the same on day one as now, then it is fine. We have a "best buy" date on the bottle, so be sure to reference that if you are concerned the food is nearing the end of its shelf-life.

Thanks for posting this discussion here. It's great for folks to learn about this aspect of our phytoplankton.

If anyone has any other questions, don't hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Best,
Chad
Thank you Chad!
Good to get some confirmation from y’all that rotten egg smell = most positive indicator it went bad.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back