Does anyone else have a psycho YW Goby or am I the only one in the world that has this problem?

Mackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Peaceful" they said, "Docile" they said, "reclusive" they said.

Well, they were wrong (in this case), cus I've got a killer watchman goby (I think).

A while back ago I made a thread about a murder mystery of who is killing all my bottom-dwelling fish. Thought it was one of the crabs till I saw my YW goby pummel my Coral beauty when he got near the bottom of the tank, It was vicious. Then he started trying to attack the one spot foxface, and in one flick of that rabbitfish's spine he was gone, but the intent was still there.
I hear a lot of stories of people saying that they never even see their YW gobies and they are only territorial of their burrows. Well, mine is out literally half the time in the open, and under every rock is his territory ( and he won't even bond with the pistol shrimp). He has also chased the Lawnmower blenny (which later died under unknown circumstances) and nipped at the arrow crab (which also died under unknown circumstances). When I posted my thread about this unknown killer, I was told that the YW goby was def not a suspect. But the evidence is really stacking up against him. Although looking at the whole world wide web there seems to be one other person who has had this problem.
I really love him but he's cost me a lot of dearly loved fish and around 250 smackers, so his charm is starting to wear off.
Wondering if anyone else has had something like this and what to do about this serial killer of a Goby.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've shared this story before, but it bears retelling.

I was managing a LFS and one of my employees asked me if we should take a butterfly fish back? The lady who brought it in had told an unbelievable story about how this butterfly fish had attacked her trigger fish. Clearly she was crazy "and who knows what is wrong with the butterfly?"

I told the employee to give her credit for the fish, which they did and she left happy. The employee then asked me what they were supposed to do with this butterfly fish and I told them to put it in the trigger tank.

Turns out that the lady was telling the truth about "Satan the Butterfly fish." True story!

I think that fish has probably died and your goby has become possessed by the devil? Individual fishes will have different capacities to get along with tank mates. Some love their tank mates while others love to kill their tank mates. It's the circle of life personalites spectrum out there and don't get caught off guard.

bouncing clash of clans GIF by Clasharama

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back