Does anyone feed caviar?

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a jar of whitefish caviar in the seafood section of my grocery store with the thoughts of it being a nutritionally dense food for my fish. I chose this over the salmon eggs due to the size.

I offered it to my hoard after rinsing in tap (2 anthias, purple, powder brown, hippo, and sailfin tangs, and blueface angel) and they devoured it voraciously. I am planning to offer this in small quantities EOD as a "treat." I also feel that these would easily absorb food additives like SELCON.

Has anyone else done this? Thoughts?

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not caviar, but I feed frozen capelin eggs (sold as masago in Asian grocery stores). Another option is tobiko (flying fish roe), also found in Asian markets.

Both are significantly cheaper than caviar.

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most caviar is heavily salted. I don’t know if this is bad for reef fish...

jayball

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed Caplin row from these guys. https://v2ofoods.com/nano-soft-freeze-for-reef-aquaria/ The fish get it when I do not feel like defrosting a cube of food.

OP, no need to put selcon on fish eggs, they are already full of HUFA. They are unlikely to absorb anything really, egg membranes are good at rejecting stuff trying to intrude. Better to try liquid additives on dry food.

Hubert J. Farnsworth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've fed things like lobster roe, removed from a steamed lobster. fish do seem to go after it with reckless abandon.

i've thought about tobiko/masago etc. and may do it very occasionally as i do have some in the freezer from making sushi at home.

what makes me hesitant about doing it any more than very occasionally as it does seem to be a very oily food, and i worry about it doing a number on my water quality and filtration capabilities.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back