Does anyone have a skimmer in a nano tank?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know skimmers help break down excess nutrients. I mentioned in another post my nitrates and phosphates are high. Will this help with both and nuisance algae in a nano? I know there’s mixed thoughts about them in a nano. Admittedly I probably need to cut back to feeding every other day…and it may be a little overstocked. So I was looking at a skimmer and/or a refugium with some chaeto algae/media.

Last edited:

ReefnFamilyMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly water changes will def be your most valuable asset the excess nutrients. I ran a skimmer on my WB 20 cube and the only thing it really helped with was a little waste control. I found it beneficial. If something helps fish and coral health even a little I'm all for it plus the cost of a nano skimmer won't break the bank.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Weekly water changes will def be your most valuable asset the excess nutrients. I ran a skimmer on my WB 20 cube and the only thing it really helped with was a little waste control. I found it beneficial. If something helps fish and coral health even a little I'm all for it plus the cost of a nano skimmer won't break the bank.
100%

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said before i run skimmers on all my Nano's I empty mine a couple times a week, so yes it is pulling out excess nutrients. Also running a skimmer will really help with you PH, anytime you run a airstone or skimmer it will raise the PH. I am very happy with my Eshopps Nano skimmers, They just work. My fluval nano... not so much. I really think you need a round chamber for effectively creating good skimmate.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As I said before i run skimmers on all my Nano's I empty mine a couple times a week, so yes it is pulling out excess nutrients. Also running a skimmer will really help with you PH, anytime you run a airstone or skimmer it will raise the PH. I am very happy with my Eshopps Nano skimmers, They just work. My fluval nano... not so much. I really think you need a round chamber for effectively creating good skimmate.
I used the Eshopps nano on waterbox 15 in the past and liked it. Good skimmer for a nano tank, although I found the pump needs cleaned once a month to keep it working.

I still keep mine around in my aquarium box for a rainy day tank setup.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Define nano. Lol.
I used a hydro slim skim back in the day in a 20L.
Worked well.
What's your tank size? I really like the refugium hob skimmer combos.
-d
20 gallons lol! I was looking into that too.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know skimmers help break down excess nutrients. I mentioned in another post my nitrates and phosphates are high. Will this help with both and nuisance algae in a nano? I know there’s mixed thoughts about them in a nano. Admittedly I probably need to cut back to feeding every other day…and it may be a little overstocked. So I was looking at a skimmer and/or a refugium with some chaeto algae/media.
I run a skimmer and a chaeto fuge, (growth is slow) on my sumped 29 gallon. I usually would do or try to do WC every other week 17% or so, but currently cut it back to about 13% twice a month sometimes less. I've gotten my nutrients super low and trying to boost feeding and backing off on WC's. I also dose kalk and occasionally mag.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run an Eshopps nano (think it’s the older model) in my 15 gallon. . . Mostly cause I’m a bit overstocked at the moment. . . Still do weekly water changes. I think it helps, it certainly pulls out some gunk.

Back