Does anyone have an Aqua UV Advantage 15 with flow rates over 500 GPH?

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 100% stumped on this one.

I have an Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 2000 15W with 3/4 barbs and likely 1/2 for the ID on these. I have tried three pumps, Sicce 3.0, 4.0, and SDC 3.0, and none can achieve over 390 GPH. I can tell from the Apex Flow Sensor. Initially, I had the terrible Red Sea barb for the return to 1/2 and replaced it with one from another Sicce pump that is 5/8 ID and 3/4 OD.

I also am using similar fittings from the SDC 3.0 to connect either side of the flow sensor, as the 1-inch unions add too much weight. These also seem to fit the size and threads of the flow sensor well. I temporarily replaced these with 3/4 ID Flex PVC and placed the flow sensor after the UV; however, the Apex states I am once again getting 320 with the Sicce 3.0 original pump. I have but 2m max of head pressure that I can see. Would anyone have any different experiences with this unit and how they overcame the lower flow rates I would like to increase as I move into spring and summer?

Thank you,
OfficeReefer

OP
OP
OfficeReefer

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG-1600.jpg
1678379822214.png

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed this post earlier. I have never measured flows on an Advantage UV, but you would need a very high-head pump to achieve 500 gph through those 1/2" barbs and the flow meter. I don't think it is really practical. I am not sure why you would want such a high flow rate through a small UV like that. I don't buy into Aqua UV's flow rates. It is almost impossible to achieve the higher numbers with the inlet and outlet fittings they provide (like you are experiencing). If you really want 500 gph, you should be using a classic model with the 2" connections and 1" plumbing.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so confused you want MORE flow. Most want slower flow to increase contact time with the uv.

What are you trying to achieve for faster flow through such a small UV. And yes i have this UV and run it using a Jebao 2500 at the lowest power setting.

And those apex flow sensors are incredibly inaccurate to. So there is that. Imo get a bucket and measure the gallons per the amount of time to achieve what you want.

Also those Sicce pumps are loud try a DC pump.

OP
OP
OfficeReefer

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed this post earlier. I have never measured flows on an Advantage UV, but you would need a very high-head pump to achieve 500 gph through those 1/2" barbs and the flow meter. I don't think it is really practical. I am not sure why you would want such a high flow rate through a small UV like that. I don't buy into Aqua UV's flow rates. It is almost impossible to achieve the higher numbers with the inlet and outlet fittings they provide (like you are experiencing). If you really want 500 gph, you should be using a classic model with the 2" connections and 1" plumbing.
I went ahead and ordered a Classic with related fittings and what not. I'm willing to do what it takes to get best flow through my UV.

OP
OP
OfficeReefer

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so confused you want MORE flow. Most want slower flow to increase contact time with the uv.

What are you trying to achieve for faster flow through such a small UV. And yes i have this UV and run it using a Jebao 2500 at the lowest power setting.

And those apex flow sensors are incredibly inaccurate to. So there is that. Imo get a bucket and measure the gallons per the amount of time to achieve what you want.

Also those Sicce pumps are loud try a DC pump.
I found the lower setting worked well on the standard 3.0 for general pest control. However, I expect my UV would be best for me seasonally on faster turnover for algae maintenance. I have an SDC 3.0 as well, but I am currently testing it on another Nano tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back