Does anyone have any experience with the Red Sea ReefLed90?

AcroBrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running a Red Sea ReefLED 90 on a Red Sea Max E-170 and it seems to be really powerful. I am getting what seems to be burnt tips and bleaching on my acros with the light dialed back to 70% and running for 12 hours a day with a 1 hour ramp up and down period. I am going to turn it down to 50% tonight and rent a par meter to test more exact specs on it tomorrow, but just wanted to see if anyone has used this and what their lighting schedule and setting looked like

OP
OP
AcroBrewer

AcroBrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What height is it mounted?

What is your alk level?

What are your nitrate and phosphate levels?

Burnt tips is usually a combo of high alk, high light, and too little nitrate and phosphate.
It is mounted the default of the Max E-170 which is 8 inches according to their site here https://www.redseafish.com/aquarium-systems/max-aquarium-systems/max-e-series/

My alk is currently at 9, but I am working on dropping it slowly since that seems to be an issue at the moment.

My nitrates are around 4 to 5 and my phosphate is around .01

I think the best courses of action at the moment are to drop the light from 70% to 50% and keep slowly dropping the alkalinity to 8 to 8.5. Let me know if there is any other good advice there. I think 50% seems low, but this light seems to be melting these sticks

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a pair for my reefer 300xl but got rid of them because I didn’t like how things looked. (Little too blue for my taste). I ended up renting a par meter from BRS and was blown away how much par they output. I had to reduce the lights to about 40% to get around 220 par on the top of my rock work and was still getting 150 if not higher on the sandbed. Great lights in terms of par and I like the recessed diode which helps light from shining all over. Hated the app and the amount of blue. The blue would give me crazy headaches which is ironic since I have G5’s on mostly blue and they’re great. I’m assuming maybe it’s because of the spectrum of blue compared to the G5’s which have more spectrums? Anyway try reducing your light output and set it to acclimation mode when adding new corals.

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is mounted the default of the Max E-170 which is 8 inches according to their site here https://www.redseafish.com/aquarium-systems/max-aquarium-systems/max-e-series/

My alk is currently at 9, but I am working on dropping it slowly since that seems to be an issue at the moment.

My nitrates are around 4 to 5 and my phosphate is around .01

I think the best courses of action at the moment are to drop the light from 70% to 50% and keep slowly dropping the alkalinity to 8 to 8.5. Let me know if there is any other good advice there. I think 50% seems low, but this light seems to be melting these sticks

I believe your issue is ultra low nitrate and phosphate. Changing the light only stresses things. Get the phosphate and nitrate up or feed something like reef energy daily.

OP
OP
AcroBrewer

AcroBrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe your issue is ultra low nitrate and phosphate. Changing the light only stresses things. Get the phosphate and nitrate up or feed something like reef energy daily.
Hey @AutumnReefs!

Thank you for the reply. I will post my tank specs below to help give some visibility to what other causes may be going on. I actually am dosing 2 mls of Reef Energy daily when I feed the fish around lunch time along with some Phytomagik from Algaebarn.

My hunch is a few causes which are the light being too bright, which from everyone I have talked to about the ReefLED 90 seems to agree it's pretty powerful and people need to dial them back more than expected, so I am turning that down to 45% from the 70% it is currently at and will slowly ramp up.

Another being that the Alkalinity could be a little too high for a newer tank that's been running about 6 months, so I am slowly going to dial that down to 8.5.

Lastly is nutrient level, so I am going to start feeding just a little bit more to try to get the nitrates up 1 or 2 more ppm and the phosphates up to .03

Let me know if I should add any other things to my action plan here and I will try to remember to report back on my results

Tank is a Red Sea Max E-170 45 gallon
Nitrates: 4 ppm
Phosphates: .01
Alkalinity: 9
Calcium: 460
Magnesium:1380
Salinity: 1.025
Filtration: I was using a skimmer and filter pads, but just removed the filter pads to try to keep more coral food (Fish poop and what not) in circulation, so I am just using a skimmer along with some bio bricks that have been in there since the beginning

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @AutumnReefs!

Thank you for the reply. I will post my tank specs below to help give some visibility to what other causes may be going on. I actually am dosing 2 mls of Reef Energy daily when I feed the fish around lunch time along with some Phytomagik from Algaebarn.

My hunch is a few causes which are the light being too bright, which from everyone I have talked to about the ReefLED 90 seems to agree it's pretty powerful and people need to dial them back more than expected, so I am turning that down to 45% from the 70% it is currently at and will slowly ramp up.

Another being that the Alkalinity could be a little too high for a newer tank that's been running about 6 months, so I am slowly going to dial that down to 8.5.

Lastly is nutrient level, so I am going to start feeding just a little bit more to try to get the nitrates up 1 or 2 more ppm and the phosphates up to .03

Let me know if I should add any other things to my action plan here and I will try to remember to report back on my results

Tank is a Red Sea Max E-170 45 gallon
Nitrates: 4 ppm
Phosphates: .01
Alkalinity: 9
Calcium: 460
Magnesium:1380
Salinity: 1.025
Filtration: I was using a skimmer and filter pads, but just removed the filter pads to try to keep more coral food (Fish poop and what not) in circulation, so I am just using a skimmer along with some bio bricks that have been in there since the beginning

I would instead put the skimmer on a timer and keep the socks to keep the sump clean.

I don't think the intensity is too strong for acros but really a par meter is the only way to know (as well as the intensity and color they were kept under before you got them).

I would up the amount of reef energy. Try 10ml till everything seems to be doing better.

I would also make sure your flow is correct if you think that would be an issue

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back