Does anyone have experience with the H2 Pro glass tops?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not familiar with these particular glass tops, but IMHO, glass tops in general are not great for reef tanks. They can really cut down on the transfer of oxygen into the water surface and of C02 out of the water which leads to reduced pH.

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used glass tops like that before. They are a pain to keep clean. Water always condensed on the bottom of the glass and then algae or some kind of mold would grow and block the light. I use mesh now-lets the light through and less likely to hurt a fish that jumps than hard glass. Also much better for gas exchange!

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A simple DIY screen top using aluminum window screen framing from your local big box hardware store and either clear or black 1/4" mesh from BRS is what many of use use. Simple to make, inexpensive, looks good, easy to clean, lasts a long time. What's not to like?

I made mine in 4 sections - 2 large front pieces, and 2 much smaller that go on the back of the tank. I cut a couple small slits in the mesh to feed power head cords through that pretty much self seal around the cords.

60Htf6tl.jpg

r1twzKEl.jpg

hth!

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red sea makes a great kit and they are international so maybe you can find it local. thats what i used to make mine.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. That's the problem with things like eggcrate (grid lighting diffuser) The 1/2" openings act like targets for fish - even ones that you wouldn't think would fit. I think the 1/4" mesh is pretty much the perfect size.

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above. 1/4 inch seems to be just about perfect-keeps the fish in the tank-yet has very little impact on light transmission. I had white egg crate on top of a tank and my Kamohara Blennies would just shoot right through that! Luckily I was there when it happened and picked them up and plopped them back in the tank and they are all still with me today. Made a top with acrylic frame and 1/4 inch clear mesh and it has worked great! I have some 1/8 inch mesh but feel that is overkill. If I had some very small fish I would use it.

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my first Blennies. I got them as a trio. they are captive bred.. I do not know how long they live. They are probably my favorite fish! They are always out and are really cool looking!

Attachments

• IMG_0787.MOV
    19.3 MB

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry- my vids do not seem to work-i will work on it!

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you able to watch it? For some reason I can’t. i would only use 1/8 inch if I had tiny neon gobies or something in that size range. For 95% of fish 1/4 inch is perfect!

Back