Does anyone have pics of newly-hatched Blue-Green Chromis?

radar_17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a group of 9 blue-green Chromis that are 2-4 years old. Over the past 2-3 months they have been laying thousands of eggs on the glass once or twice a week. This past week the male was so protective he was pecking my hand and/or the magnetic scraper while trying to clean the glass. Anyways, I've never seen any indication that the eggs had hatched... until tonight (possibly). I looked in the fuge and in addition to the copepods and occasional baby brine-shrimp I saw something very different... and there were 10-15 of them. They look like newly hatched baby danios (I've raised a few hundred of them over the years), but unlike the danios they are floating/darting about in the top 2 inches of the water column (danios look like slivers of glass stuck to the glass or other substrates for the first day or so). The other difference is that they seem to have 3-4 bright "spots" along their narrow bodies. I definitely don't have the camera skills to capture these guys, but was hoping some one on here might have pics of newly hatched chromis to compare to... and if I'm real lucky, some advice on maybe getting a few to survive. Thanks!

OP
OP
radar_17

radar_17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does, thank you. I think I very well may have had a few fry, but the prospects of raising them seem pretty slim without some pretty specialized care (a lot more than danios!). I'll just hope for the best that maybe they'll find something in the fuge they can survive off of. I'm trying to get a USB microscope going (driver issues... working with their customer service). If I get it going and can isolate one of the babies I'll post a pic here. Thanks again Brew12.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back