Does anyone know the type of algae this is?

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was blowing this nasty purplish red algae of this dried up hard coral. And found these green stick like algae under it. Does anyone know what it’s called? Is this rare or common algae? And does anyone know what this purple black carpet algae is? I blow this carpet stuff away and it comes back with a wrath in at least 24 hours.

5C733A81-1229-4BE9-A7A7-9572E584D210.jpeg 375EAE65-40EE-4E57-B3ED-2CF401275B9F.jpeg

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green algae may be to small to have a full id at this point, maybe neomeris.
The purple algae is a bacteria also known as Cyanobacteria normally it’s related to excess organis in the tank, what’s your current parameters?

OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green algae may be to small to have a full id at this point, maybe neomeris.
The purple algae is a bacteria also known as Cyanobacteria normally it’s related to excess organis in the tank, what’s your current parameters?
My tank parameters are pretty good. Only thing is my nitrates are a little high and my kh.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 10
calcium 500
Kh 14
Phosphate .50
Ph 8.0

OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 nitrates is very good, not high at all.
So in all honesty this Cyanobacteria started when I bought a Haitian anemone. Unfortunately that anemone is no longer alive because I think I bought it sick it only last 2weeks. When it died I was very busy working 2jobs and had no time for my aquarium so it eventually started rotting in my aquarium. Once it started rotting Cyanobacteria appeared and since then it hasn’t gone away. So I’m going to see if I get 6 Cyanobacteria snails to eat it up instead of shortening the light cycle, doing water changes, changing the flow in my aquarium, etc.

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in all honesty this Cyanobacteria started when I bought a Haitian anemone. Unfortunately that anemone is no longer alive because I think I bought it sick it only last 2weeks. When it died I was very busy working 2jobs and had no time for my aquarium so it eventually started rotting in my aquarium. Once it started rotting Cyanobacteria appeared and since then it hasn’t gone away. So I’m going to see if I get 6 Cyanobacteria snails to eat it up instead of shortening the light cycle, doing water changes, changing the flow in my aquarium, etc.
Using snails to get rid of cyano is very unlikely to work. You can try but I dont think it would work. Also there you go, you said it your self. The cause behind this issue is the nem dying and releasing huge amounts of nutrients into the tank.

OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it was rotting in there for at least 1week . It’s been removed for over 2 months now and this stuff is still around

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it was rotting in there for at least 1week . It’s been removed for over 2 months now and this stuff is still around
Cyano will not go away on its own since it is caused by excess nutrients. You need to actively remove it and within weeks to a month it will be gone.

ndds73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That algae is one touch one to beat. I had them in my tank and I tried everything including Vibrant but it didn't work. If I dipped it in hydrogen peroxide and it came back. It was a struggle for 3 years and finally I teared the tank down and started a new one with new rock and didn't bring anything from old tank over.

I have asked this same question in this forum but no one had any real solution to kill this algae. The best some one had come up with was that this is a type of bubble algae but bubble algae can be killed by Vibrant but Vibrant has no effect on this type of algae.

IMG_20200322_181425.jpg

IMG_20200322_181330.jpg

IMG_20200322_181138.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one the green or purple one? And how do you get rid of it?
the purple is cyano, it’s a nightmare to get rid of. My build thread shows how long I’ve dealt with it

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae could be Valonia aegagropila its not fairly common to see although is probably worth trying a emerald crab wile at this stage, as for the Cyanobacteria I’d recommend to try and eliminate the excess organic you got from the anemone die inside the tank.

OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae could be Valonia aegagropila its not fairly common to see although is probably worth trying a emerald crab wile at this stage, as for the Cyanobacteria I’d recommend to try and eliminate the excess organic you got from the anemone die inside the tank.
The anemone died months ago if there’s any in there now it’s been broken down by now I’ve done two water changes since.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back