Does anyone know what this is?

Stevyn Perry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping someone can help identify what this is. I'm not new to fish tanks, but this is my first saltwater tank. My wife seen this yesterday so I took a picture of it. I just thought it was some sort of algea growing. When I got home today it was gone. It kind of looks like a starfish the more I looked at the picture. I just want to know is it something I need to get out of my tank when I see it next time. Thanks
IMG_20170518_213232.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response. The tanks 1 month old. And I see new stuff in it everyday. Do they cause damage to anything?
SOME, have been known to eat coral. Mine never have. The problem becomes they multiply pretty rapidly. You probably have more than just the one. And that's ok too. Enjoy your sea star.

OP
OP
Stevyn Perry

Stevyn Perry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot saltyfilmfolks. I don't have any corals, yet. Still have a while before I get those. I really appreciate the help. Thank you

OP
OP
Stevyn Perry

Stevyn Perry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until then I'll let him chill out. Unless I start seeing alot of them. Then they'll have to get thinned out.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the tanks that have millions of them....the answer is no. In my tank they seem to mostly eat everything that grows in that algae film on the glass.

But like everything, there seem to be grey areas.

I think when they are starving they may get aggressive. And the same conditions that would cause them to starve would also not be great for corals....which may explain most or all of the reports of corals being eaten by these stars. These stars will eat receding tissue without doubt.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SOME, have been known to eat coral. Mine never have. The problem becomes they multiply pretty rapidly. You probably have more than just the one. And that's ok too. Enjoy your sea star.
X2 - if I had a choice I would toss the first few I saw. Mine never hurt anything, they just took over.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copy that mcarroll. Next time I see it I will get it out. Thank you.

LOL....."Thanks English Language!!" I meant the opposite....that they're nothing to worry about. The stories you hear are exceptions....and probably very avoidable exceptions.

If you keep a healthy, well-fed tank they shouldn't be an issue. Worry not!!!! :) :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the tanks that have millions of them....the answer is no. In my tank they seem to mostly eat everything that grows in that algae film on the glass.

But like everything, there seem to be grey areas.

I think when they are starving they may get aggressive. And the same conditions that would cause them to starve would also not be great for corals....which may explain most or all of the reports of corals being eaten by these stars. These stars will eat receding tissue without doubt.
My two observations of the non coral eaters. In large numbes they out compete the snails(yes I named my big turbo, sad day), and my stomatella numbers dropped. I surmise they eat the larvae and eggs.
I had a thread with pictures and testimony(lots and Lots) that yea some do eat zoas..

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen them eat receding tissue on SPS in my tank....but there was no question that's what it was. They weren't "coral eaters" all of a sudden. When I fixed my issue, they stopped and didn't return. :)

OP
OP
Stevyn Perry

Stevyn Perry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found another something, any thoughts? I was told it was aiptasia but I don't think it is. It's very small about a 1/4 inch at the ends of the eyelash looking things. It retreats if I get close to look at it, so this was the best pic I could get. IMG_20170519_084340.jpg

OP
OP
Stevyn Perry

Stevyn Perry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was leaning towards. Shouldn't be an issue leaving him alone then right?

OP
OP
Stevyn Perry

Stevyn Perry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks again. I can see myself using this website a lot, asking questions and reading forums. This is great.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back