Does anyone know what this organism is. I love these and has only shown up in my established tanks. They are small red stalked coralline like organism

Ron Primas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what this organism is. I love these and has only shown up in my established tanks. They are small red stalked coralline like organisms that I'd like to continue to grow.

magnify_2020-10-09_23-05-24.jpg magnify_2020-10-09_23-05-24.jpg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to get a clearer picture? Do they send out any type of web or anything?

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to see, I'm guessing you're talking about the maple leafy looking stuff? If so I'm going with a type of red algae. Is it soft or more hard tissue?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the OP is referring to the small red spiky calcareous organisms known as 'Forams' (Foraminifera)

miniacina_miniacea_30-09-06_dscf3288.jpg

I had these once a very long time ago (came in on Indo-Pacific LR) and I liked them, too.
+1

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I had considered that too but I was noticing the variation in color and the fact some are clearly extremely thin. I still suggest the OP checks the texture.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forams are very hard and not easy to scrape off. They also pose no problem. Commonly found on Indo torches and other euphyllia

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When live rock was commonly available you would find these everywhere. Forams, tunicates and sponges were quite common and a welcomed hitchhiker back then, so count your lucky stars. Real live rock makes all the difference in the world for acquiring biodiversity and one of the magic ingredients to a really successful tank, but I’m kinda old school in that mindset. Enjoy your extra critters, a welcomed guest indeed.

OP
OP
Ron Primas

Ron Primas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the OP is referring to the small red spiky calcareous organisms known as 'Forams' (Foraminifera)

miniacina_miniacea_30-09-06_dscf3288.jpg

I had these once a very long time ago (came in on Indo-Pacific LR) and I liked them, too.
Exactly! Thank you so much!!! Beautiful indeed. I am impressed as I've only see them in well functioning established tanks.

OP
OP
Ron Primas

Ron Primas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When live rock was commonly available you would find these everywhere. Forams, tunicates and sponges were quite common and a welcomed hitchhiker back then, so count your lucky stars. Real live rock makes all the difference in the world for acquiring biodiversity and one of the magic ingredients to a really successful tank, but I’m kinda old school in that mindset. Enjoy your extra critters, a welcomed guest indeed.
Agreed! Thank you again!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would treat them as filter feeders, kind of. They'll capture particulate matter, food, bacteria, etc. So, if you have a healthy tank and they can source food, they'll remain in your tank. Their numbers might ebb and flow, but they should stick around for the most part. You'll probably find them in shaded areas or where flow passes by, where they can capture food. In my 15g I had set up in the 90's, I had a great deal of them in the tank and in my 10g display refugium, some of which were rather large and could be mistaken as coral. I had some really cool pics of them (and my tanks) but lost them when we moved to SoCal.
Sometimes you'll get lucky and they'll hitch a ride on frags and certain corals, as mentioned earlier. But if you were keeping reef tanks before live rock disappeared, then you most likely had these cool critters in your tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back