Does anyone knows whats happening? Is it dying? It started yesterday. We even changed the water last night to see if it will help

fairyfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
34FD2774-7A39-41BA-9226-0A685837F897.jpeg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been in your tank? Do you have your parameters and tank temp available? Also where is it in your tank (low, medium high) and what's the flow like? Also, was anything added to the tank (dosing, chemicals for algae control, etc)?

OP
OP
fairyfishy

fairyfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than a year I guess, it’s always been there in the mid of our tank and it’s good. We didn’t put any chemicals.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity is good, and we do change the water last night for him
Need a full list of parameters. Alk, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, magnesium and Ph. If you don't know what they are, we found your problem.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what is your lighting like? I found a lot of my sps in my tank started to struggle out of the blue (tissue recession, polyps retracted maybe even bailed). I found as everything started to grow my weekly water changes weren't keeping parameters up. I don't dose so I bumped up my water changes to twice a week but I also I increased my lighting. I started my tank with soft corals and they were fine with the level of light I had set but I began to think it wasn't enough for the sps. I had one that I thought for sure was a goner because I had not seen any polyps for easily 6 weeks. After making these tweaks I noticed one tiny polyp emerge then another and another. The coral is almost back. I'm totally shocked. My other ones that were starting to look rough have also started to rebound. So I think increased water changes have helped but also the increase in lighting.

Provide as much info on your tank as possible. Parameters, lighting, water change schedule, dosing, not dosing, etc. There are a lot of reasons for a coral to go down hill. Just looking at a pic won't help to find a reason.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, still sleeping. Evryone’s in good condition except that one
Nope, still sleeping. Evryone’s in good condition except that one
You had a problem a couple of weeks ago from water changes affecting other corals

(helps to rule out issues)
Did anything change since then or has it been a slow decline, just to confirm this is coral that's changed (pic) recently, thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220701_182158.jpg
    IMG_20220701_182158.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
fairyfishy

fairyfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need all the info you can possibly give us.
Testing equiptment, results.
SG, how did you test?
All that info here, or, we can come to your house and have a look.
We checked and yup the alkalinity was bit low the change of water is not enough. We need to change half of the tank
You had a problem a couple of weeks ago from water changes affecting other corals

Did anything change since then or has it been a slow decline, just to confirm this is coral that's changed (pic) recently, thanks

OP
OP
fairyfishy

fairyfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks, well it is slowly changing colors that the recent pic. We need to change half of the tanks water

OP
OP
fairyfishy

fairyfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a full list of parameters. Alk, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, magnesium and Ph. If you don't know what they are, we found your problem.
Yup thanks! We did check and the alkalinity bit low. Thanks

OP
OP
fairyfishy

fairyfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
fairyfishy

fairyfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what is your lighting like? I found a lot of my sps in my tank started to struggle out of the blue (tissue recession, polyps retracted maybe even bailed). I found as everything started to grow my weekly water changes weren't keeping parameters up. I don't dose so I bumped up my water changes to twice a week but I also I increased my lighting. I started my tank with soft corals and they were fine with the level of light I had set but I began to think it wasn't enough for the sps. I had one that I thought for sure was a goner because I had not seen any polyps for easily 6 weeks. After making these tweaks I noticed one tiny polyp emerge then another and another. The coral is almost back. I'm totally shocked. My other ones that were starting to look rough have also started to rebound. So I think increased water changes have helped but also the increase in lighting.

Provide as much info on your tank as possible. Parameters, lighting, water change schedule, dosing, not dosing, etc. There are a lot of reasons for a coral to go down hill. Just looking at a pic won't help to find a reason.
Thanks! Very informative. Next time i know what to do and check. And we found that it’s the alk because we added a few corals it went a bit low. Thanks again

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Very informative. Next time i know what to do and check. And we found that it’s the alk because we added a few corals it went a bit low. Thanks again
Excellent! I'm glad you found the source of the problem. :)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We checked and yup the alkalinity was bit low the change of water is not enough. We need to change half of the tank

You need to stop doing massive water changes just to raise alk. You need to dose a 2-part solution or something like all for reef. Water changes can stress out corals and fish, and will bottom out your nitrate and phosphate if you do them at the rate alk and calcium are often consumed in a reef tank. If nitrate and phosphate don't bottom out then its ok, but that does get very expensive to raise alk just by water chages

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been reefing a while or are you new?
Just asking cuz you needed help but failed to give any testing parameters and you found the problem magically yourself.
(this sounded confrontational but not meant to be)
That was a beginners sps you lost. I see other encrusting ones and a few LPS.
Are you sure it's just the alk swing? Adding a few corals does not drop the alk quickly.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back