Does anyone make their own marine fish food?

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this cheaper than buying cubes

Way cheaper than buying cubes. I spent 20 on blood worms, mysis, and brine shrimp cubes... then about 17 on seafood.

Only used half the seafood and one cube of the blood worms, mysis, and brine. Vac sealed the left overs.

Made 450 silicon tray cubes

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you blend it up? I'm worried about it all turning to liquid haha

Also, don't be afraid to buy frozen, you'd don't need fresh.

All seafood is flash frozen on the boats as soon as its caught these days. They just thaw it for display at stores

Will be more fresh if you thaw yourself.. especially if it's vac sealed

Last edited:

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking to try this with my previous reef tank but never got around to it 7 years ago. Now that I'm back, will probably do this from the start.

My one question, a single cube (the 1cm cubes which seem to be the smallest trays you can find) would feed about what size tank / how many fish? I've always feared overfeeding and my initial thought was to freeze in freezer bags laying flat and cut off just what I think they should eat. However, cubes are much easier to deal with as no knife required. Any thoughts?

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking to try this with my previous reef tank but never got around to it 7 years ago. Now that I'm back, will probably do this from the start.

My one question, a single cube (the 1cm cubes which seem to be the smallest trays you can find) would feed about what size tank / how many fish? I've always feared overfeeding and my initial thought was to freeze in freezer bags laying flat and cut off just what I think they should eat. However, cubes are much easier to deal with as no knife required. Any thoughts?

I have 4 fish and 2 shrimp.in a 40g breeder.

Six line wrasse, yellowtail blue damsel, young scopas tang, and lawnmower blenny. Cleaner shrimp and coral band shrimp. Halloween crab, and 10 blue hermits and assorted snails.

The blenny pretty much only eats off the rocks and glass. Hermits off leftovers etc.

I feed a super small pinch of tdo pellets and seaweed extreme pellets in the morning and put in half a strip of nori on a feeder clip for the tang mainly.

Then I feed half a cube to 3/4 of a cube. If I do a whole one everyday it's way too much. Half seems a little thin some days. So I just alternate between half and 3/4s

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish eat clams that I buy live and freeze, then slice off paper thin slices. Sometimes I get a tub of them in a bait store. I also grow and feed live whiteworms and some LRS food. Thats all fish need as all my fish that can spawn are spawing and they generally die of old age.

One of my fireclowns is about 38 years old and still spawning.

I don't like to feed to much regular aquarium food from a LFS because I don't feel it has enough, or any live bacteria.

Fish don't need variety, they need what they need. :)

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish eat clams that I buy live and freeze, then slice off paper thin slices. Sometimes I get a tub of them in a bait store. I also grow and feed live whiteworms and some LRS food. Thats all fish need as all my fish that can spawn are spawing and they generally die of old age.

One of my fireclowns is about 38 years old and still spawning.

I don't like to feed to much regular aquarium food from a LFS because I don't feel it has enough, or any live bacteria.

Fish don't need variety, they need what they need. :)

Doesn't this really depend on what's in your tank?

My tang needs and wants seaweed, algae, etc.

But my wrasse, damsel, and shrimp want MEAT.

They'll all eat a little of whatever, but making a frozen variety mix makes it easy to feed them all easily.

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do both. Cube trays for small tanks and flat sandwich bags for my large tank. I just break off chunks and never measure, some days are big feast, some days are not so big.
A39D195A-6F13-4862-827A-FCFF732F8BF9.jpeg
3F895E9D-C558-42AA-B8FE-D87D991A298D.jpeg
very seaweed heavy on my sandwich bags

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, don't be afraid to buy frozen, you'd don't need fresh.

All seafood is flash frozen on the boats as soon as its caught these days. They just thaw it for display at stores

Will be more fresh if you thaw yourself.. especially if it's vac sealed

Right but my fish go nuts for fresh shell fish. I buy an extra few clams to toss into the tanks. Its like fish crack.

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right but my fish go nuts for fresh shell fish. I buy an extra few clams to toss into the tanks. Its like fish crack.

Mine don't seem to like clams and mussels. Need to try some oysters.

At least they didn't the ones I tried first... they'd eat and spit it out. So I left them out of mix.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't this really depend on what's in your tank?
Only a little. I also have tangs and butterfly fish. My hippo tang has never seen nori or seaweed and is one of the most beautiful hippo's I have ever seen and this one is a few years old.

My last one lived about 10 years and also never saw nori. Clams are the best food for salt water fish and nothing else is needed. Clams are filter feeders and loaded with minerals including calcium.

Shrimp, octopus, squid, silversides, whitefish and tilapia are not good salt water food choices for a variety of reasons.
Clams also supply needed living bacteria which I feel is why I never have a sick fish and never have to quarantine.

Clams are also the best food for these butterflies. My last hippo also lived about 10 years.
The true statement "Great Success" is only if your fish die of old age and spawn constantly if they are the type of fish that can spawn in tank.

I also have to feed some mysis because that is the only thing my pipefish will eat.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only a little. I also have tangs and butterfly fish. My hippo tang has never seen nori or seaweed and is one of the most beautiful hippo's I have ever seen and this one is a few years old.

My last one lived about 10 years and also never saw nori. Clams are the best food for salt water fish and nothing else is needed. Clams are filter feeders and loaded with minerals including calcium.

Shrimp, octopus, squid, silversides, whitefish and tilapia are not good salt water food choices for a variety of reasons.
Clams also supply needed living bacteria which I feel is why I never have a sick fish and never have to quarantine.

Clams are also the best food for these butterflies. My last hippo also lived about 10 years.
The true statement "Great Success" is only if your fish die of old age and spawn constantly if they are the type of fish that can spawn in tank.

I also have to feed some mysis because that is the only thing my pipefish will eat.

Paul can you explain why these fish are not great for fish food. I use it because just about ever video and recipe I've seen contains it as an ingredient.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul can you explain why these fish are not great for fish food.
Sfin52, it;s not that they are bad foods, they are certainly better than dry foods but those foods mentioned all have a little detrimental problem. When you feed squid, octopus or shrimp you are only feeding the muscles of those animals. Thats the parts we Humans eat but most of us are not cold blooded fish. Cold blooded fish need the guts and stomach contents of the food. In the sea, fish eat whole squid, octopus, shrimp and fish.

They need the bones and oil from the fish prey and definitely need the living bacteria in the guts if you want them to be and stay immune from just about everything.

This one fact is why I feel we need a disease forum. A fishes health and immunity is totally dependent on gut bacteria which is not present in many foods mentioned.
Clams are a whole food and not just barren, bacteria free muscle.

Clams are almost all guts and are the best food. They are also one of the best foods for us and I eat them all the time. :)

Tilipia are fresh water fish and not even healthy for us to eat. They have the wrong oil in them for one thing. Silversides can also be freshwater as any silver fish can be called a silverside and when feeding those, we are also only feeding the muscle which is the least healthy part of any fish.

I don't eat fish guts, but I am not a fish. :rolleyes:

I use it because just about ever video and recipe I've seen contains it as an ingredient.

Most video's on fish food are put out by people who sell frozen fish food. If all your fish are only dying of old age and spawning, you are doing it correctly so keep doing that. If you ever have a sick fish, you need to quarantine and your fish are not spawning (the ones that can spawn in a tank) you are doing something wrong.

Fish are very robust and rarely get sick. We make them sick. Sorry, but it is what it is.

You should eat them also :)

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sfin52, it;s not that they are bad foods, they are certainly better than dry foods but those foods mentioned all have a little detrimental problem. When you feed squid, octopus or shrimp you are only feeding the muscles of those animals. Thats the parts we Humans eat but most of us are not cold blooded fish. Cold blooded fish need the guts and stomach contents of the food. In the sea, fish eat whole squid, octopus, shrimp and fish.

They need the bones and oil from the fish prey and definitely need the living bacteria in the guts if you want them to be and stay immune from just about everything.

This one fact is why I feel we need a disease forum. A fishes health and immunity is totally dependent on gut bacteria which is not present in many foods mentioned.

Clams are almost all guts and are the best food. They are also one of the best foods for us and I eat them all the time. :)

Tilipia are fresh water fish and not even healthy for us to eat. They have the wrong oil in them for one thing. Silversides can also be freshwater as any silver fish can be called a silverside and when feeding those, we are also only feeding the muscle which is the least healthy part of any fish.

Most video's on fish food are put out by people who sell frozen fish food. If all your fish are only dying of old age and spawning, you are doing it correctly so keep doing that. If you ever have a sick fish, you need to quarantine and your fish are not spawning (the ones that can spawn in a tank) you are doing something wrong.

Fish are very robust and rarely get sick. We make them sick. Sorry, but it is what it is.

Excellent! Im picking up some clams today.
Question, are clams in a can appropriate?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"No", canned clams should not be fed to anything except you can eat them. They are cooked.

Mussels and oysters are also a good food. But not canned

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like always well thought out and articulated. Thank you. Thats why I use clams, oyster and muscles along with whole shrimp

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WORDS OF CAUTION....

using seafood from deli counters may contain lots of phosphorus leading to a PO4 problem, Then algae.

At the seafood packing plants they use various forms of Phosphates to retain moisture and extend freshness. Many times some type of phosphorus liquid is spray and coated on the seafood

If you use deli counter seafood RINSE RINSE RINSE RINSE!

Last edited:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started doing this and freezing in the silicon trays as well. Squid, flounder, shrimp, mysis, bloodworms, brine shrimp, tdo pellets, Seaweed extreme pellets, nori, and selcon. I skipped the clams and mussles cause the smell permeates everything and most of my fish don't like that smell/taste it seems. Blended it up, put in silicon ice trays, froze, then vac sealed all but the one I was gonna use.

Used about 1/2 pound of fish, squid, and shrimp, then 1 cube of mysis, brine, and blood worms. Filled three trays which will last me a good while since I only feed about a cube a day right now.

Kinda followed this.

It’s because most frozen packages of raw seafood .
I believe it’s called seafood medley .
the muscles and clams are cooked
I had a snowflake eel , anemone , and niger trigger that would touch it. .
Everting else was fine

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have access to a great Korean grocery with an outstanding fresh sea food selection - all the standard fare and then bonuses like conch.
bought a coffee grinder dedicated to the fish food to keep kitchen gear clean.
Put them up in heavy duty sandwhich bags, but my challenge is getting a consistency friable enough to break off into chips like Rods - have to use a pair of needle nose to get a daily dose
ideas?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back