Does anyone make their own marine fish food?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last time I literally just had my girlfriend get one of each sea food item at the grocery store. A bit overkill but some good additions are krill, clams, white fish, shrimp and I blend it with some cyclops, nori, selcon and some saltwater. Its much cheaper and you can always sell off some to friends. BRS had a few good recipes

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also make my own food by blending seafood mixes (uncooked) from the grocery store.
I freeze mine into little cubes using silicone micro ice cube trays and transfer to a freezer bag for bulk storage once frozen. A pound or more goes a long way when I feed only about 8 cubes a day!

There are many related threads here on R2R. Here is a recent one by G Santana.

Edit: I find this process much easier and much cheaper than buying frozen food.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhh one of my favorite things to talk about lol
Shrimp, clams and scallops, sometimes nori and Selcon.
This saves the hobbyist big bucks
20211006_102510.jpg

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started doing this and freezing in the silicon trays as well. Squid, flounder, shrimp, mysis, bloodworms, brine shrimp, tdo pellets, Seaweed extreme pellets, nori, and selcon. I skipped the clams and mussles cause the smell permeates everything and most of my fish don't like that smell/taste it seems. Blended it up, put in silicon ice trays, froze, then vac sealed all but the one I was gonna use.

Used about 1/2 pound of fish, squid, and shrimp, then 1 cube of mysis, brine, and blood worms. Filled three trays which will last me a good while since I only feed about a cube a day right now.

Kinda followed this.

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does any one make there own marine fish food
I was thinking about trying it
But wasn’t sure what to put in it or
If it would be cheaper to just buy it from the fish store
Thanks in advance

Also, another tip is shave it with a cheese grater while frozen, then add to the food processor if you are feeding small fish like me.

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started doing this and freezing in the silicon trays as well. Squid, flounder, shrimp, mysis, bloodworms, brine shrimp, tdo pellets, Seaweed extreme pellets, nori, and selcon. I skipped the clams and mussles cause the smell permeates everything and most of my fish don't like that smell/taste it seems. Blended it up, put in silicon ice trays, froze, then vac sealed all but the one I was gonna use.

Used about 1/2 pound of fish, squid, and shrimp, then 1 cube of mysis, brine, and blood worms. Filled three trays which will last me a good while since I only feed about a cube a day right now.

Kinda followed this.

How much do you blend it up? I'm worried about it all turning to liquid haha

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a feel. Go chunkier and go from there. It's a feel. It will take a few batches to get it right.

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have small fish so I shave mine with a cheese grater while frozen. The small type like for making the thin stringy cheese. Then just about 40 seconds in the processor.

It's still kinda thick, like grits or chunky baby food. That would be my best description.

I'd mix for a short while and then drop some in a Glass of water and see if it looks to be about the size you want.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back