Isopod80

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Recently, I have become interested in obtaining marine Ostracods to add to my build’s biodiversity (tropical planted marine). Is there a store/hobbyist I can source these from or is my endeavor a lost cause?
Easiest way to get Ostracods is to add a little NSW to the tank. That's how I got mine. They tend not to last long term from my experience. Not like pods. Mine had a population boom, died back then slowly disappeared over a few months and I dose several strains of live phyto. There's so many different species, some with specific diets, that it's hard to judge care. Some can also be pests. They're very difficult to i.d. I'm not aware of any vendors that sell them. Mine seemed to target algae so you may not want them in a planted tank.

Last edited:
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Easiest way to get Ostracods is to add a little NSW to the tank. That's how I got mine. They tend not to last long term from my experience. Not like pods. Mine had a population boom, died back then slowly disappeared over a few months and I dose several strains of live phyto. There's so many different species, some with specific diets, that it's hard to judge care. Some can also be pests. They're very difficult to i.d. I'm not aware of any vendors that sell them. Mine seemed to target algae so you may not want them in a planted tank.
The problem with that is the fact I live in California (frigid waters, collection restrictions on anything but algae). Nonetheless, this was a great read! Thank you!

Isopod80

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
If I get a batch going again, I'll let you know. If you really want to give them a try I'd be willing to fill a few specimen cups and mail them out. (at your expense of course. Lol) They'd be a random species from Florida.

Speaking of your latest coral purchase...

• It was a GREAT deal

Votes: 115 35.9%
  • It was a good deal

Votes: 102 31.9%
  • It was nether good nor bad

Votes: 75 23.4%
  • It was a bad deal

Votes: 20 6.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.5%
Industrial Test Systems, Inc.