Does anyone skip feeding their fishes a day or two?

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone skip feeding their fishes a day or two periodically? My fishes are fat, and my usual feeding routine is a sheet or two of nori everyday with pellets, and mysis shrimp every other day... I have a total of 14 fish -- 4 tangs, 2 clowns, 2 anthias, 1 angel, etc... I was thinking of skipping a day or two periodically to put my fishes on a diet cause my fishes are really fat :). Has anyone done this, and seen any stress or irregularity with the fishes?

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On occasion, especially in winter, I go to work before the tank lights come up and return home after they’re already down. I’ll usually toss in some pellets to keep the tang and foxface happy, but I don’t think anyone is starving if we miss a day. I feed once a day and mine are on the plump side as well.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skip feedings periodically. I do notice that my yellow tang becomes more aggressive so I'll throw in a sheet of nori for him to hold him over. Otherwise I don't notice any difference in the remainder of fish.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skip feedings periodically. I do notice that my yellow tang becomes more aggressive so I'll throw in a sheet of nori for him to hold him over. Otherwise I don't notice any difference in the remainder of fish.

Sounds like the yellow tang needs a Snickers!

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I have gotten in the habit though, of feeding a dark tank.

Many days I leave for work at 5:45am, and get home > 9pm. The lights are off when I leave, and off when I get home. I will throw a hunk of Rod’s, and Mysis in the dark tank in the morning, and clip some Nori before I go.

I wonder how much they eat, and how much I am just adding to my Nitrates and feeding coral.....

I may work these hours 3-5 days in a row at times...... wish I had a better solution

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Many days I leave for work at 5:45am, and get home > 9pm. The lights are off when I leave, and off when I get home. I will throw a hunk of Rod’s, and Mysis in the dark tank in the morning, and clip some Nori before I go.

I wonder how much they eat, and how much I am just adding to my Nitrates and feeding coral.....

I may work these hours 3-5 days in a row at times...... wish I had a better solution
Auto feeder? I just choose to feed every other day to help keep my nutrients under control. I tend to feed heavily, though everything is consumed in about 5 minutes.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you considered changing your light schedule? I have mine come on early afternoon and stay on later in the evening so I can enjoy the tank after work.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered changing your light schedule? I have mine come on early afternoon and stay on later in the evening so I can enjoy the tank after work.

I also occasionally work overnights too..... Working in a hospital can take years off of your life!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I slow down and skip when my Phosphates start climbing. Just this week I figured out my wife has been feeding the beggars! She is a soft touch. I skipped feeding them when I figured out what was happening. The fish are fat but the corals are turning brown.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

I’ve skipped a day or 2 with no issues. I just realized I skipped today :D

BUT, I saw you have anthias. I would try not skip a day. Most recommend small feeding throughout the day for them. Obviously that’s not always doable but I would try best to not miss a day.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back