Does anyone think having A LOT of fish aids in having a successful SPS dominant/only reef? Weigh in...

Does having a lot of fish and feeding heavily aid in helping YOU keep SPS?

• My SPS are healthy & colorful, I have a lot of fish & feed a lot too (if so, how many & how often?)

Votes: 53 50.0%
  • I have a lot of fish and feed once a day or less, and my SPS are healthy and colorful

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I don't have that many fish but feed a lot and my SPS are healthy and colorful

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • I DO NOT have alot of fish and do not feed alot and I'm struggling

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I have to DOSE (AA, NO3, PO4, etc) to maintain color and health, because little to no fish

Votes: 11 10.4%

• Total voters
OP
OP
SeaDweller

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will - 200 gallons (5 tanks plumbed together) and over 40 fish and 4 serpent stars - I still need more, my 40 breeder frag tank has no fish - yet
Cheers! Mark
Sweet!

I might set up a 40B it I start seeing nice stuff come in from Indo

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark what fish did you get?

corey
For my 2 SPS displays I picked up a Chalk Bass, Coral Beauty, Six Line and then on the 40 gallon tank with the 4 Serpent Starfish I added 20 assorted Damsels. These tanks are all plumbed together. I picked Damsels 'cause they are cheap enough if one of the stars has a snack and I was just looking for a lot of cheap poopers. I still want to add a Yellow Tang and 10 Springer Damsels to the Frag tank that is also plumbed into this system.
Cheers! Mark

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, How else would I control excess nutrients? It’s either heavy in, heavy out or don’t feed my tank and watch everything look like crap, with skinny fish. Fish in the ocean have access to food 24/7 if they want, which is why they’re so much healthier and fatter than what we tend to see in homes.

Earlier this month took the family to Turks & Caicos and we had a couple snorkeling trips and the one thing that impressed me was how FAT all the fish were. Regardless of species, these things were super thick relative to length. Given the amount of swimming they do, they have to be eating 2 or 3 times what my captive friends are to be so fat.

I will say the coral situation (shallow only dives) was depressing as heck. Some softies, some fans, small brains. Ugh.

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone here have a super colorful, healthy SPS tank that has minimal fish and minimal feedings (like once/day or less)?

I kept up with this thread for several (if not all) pages but do not recall anyone saying/showing a successful SPS reef without much fish.

Did I miss someone? I am a natural skeptic so bring some pics. :)

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this month took the family to Turks & Caicos and we had a couple snorkeling trips and the one thing that impressed me was how FAT all the fish were. Regardless of species, these things were super thick relative to length. Given the amount of swimming they do, they have to be eating 2 or 3 times what my captive friends are to be so fat.

I will say the coral situation (shallow only dives) was depressing as heck. Some softies, some fans, small brains. Ugh.
I'll say the same thing about the Virgin Islands. A lot of barren areas where elkhorn used to be.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept up with this thread for several (if not all) pages but do not recall anyone saying/showing a successful SPS reef without much fish.

Did I miss someone? I am a natural skeptic so bring some pics. :)

Probably not many out there considering the trend to high nutrients these days. I started a small tank with some lps in it and no fish that’s been doing good for a few months. No plans to add anything other than a few tiny tiny fish that we won’t have to feed so maybe I can put some acros in there and see how they do as well.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back