Does anyone treat with copper and NOT observe after treatment?

Do you observe fish after treatment with copper?

• Of course! I keep my fish in medication-free water to ensure ich didn’t make it through

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Ummm…No! I trust my QT and there’s no way to ich making it through!

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting.

Why am I bringing this up? Because I treated my fish with copper and they are right now in copper observation tank. They don’t show any symptoms of ich, but I’m afraid I cross contaminated their tank with water that could have had ich on it. I’m watching them every day but no ich is coming out.

On top of this: my blue tang got a bacterial/viral nodules after exposure to copper to the point where it LOOKS like it has ich. I have no way of differentiating if there is ich/velvet mixed in.

Does ANYONE know how to observe fish after copper? I read that ich can hide in “immune” fish indefinitely. I have no clue how to properly observe my fish.

I’m thinking to keep my fish in therapeutic copper for 30 days. Transfer fish straight into DT from full copper.

Because this is crazy! I can’t sleep at night because my fallow is almost over and I’m here thinking I contaminated my fish with ich post treatment.

Imagine how I’d feel when I add my fish into my DT and ich breaks through?

Im under the impression that my fish can be asymptomatic to ich for months until a stressful event occurs.

So. My ideal situation: find a way to guarantee to know if ich is in my treated QT fish without retreating them in copper. If there’s no sure fire way to know, I’ll treat them again and try extremely hard to prevent any possibility for cross contamination.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id wait it out for 30 days and just watch them. If you want to be absolutely sure wait til everyones happy and looking goodsince it sounds like the blue tang needs some time then do another round of copper. How do you think you contaminated it? Did you use a net or something from a tank that for sure has ich?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do copper for 14 days and no observation after

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my blue tang

It looks exactly like velvet/ich.

03575803-FE5D-4428-86E9-953DEFE4F4B8.jpeg
21F88AED-3920-42F3-9229-588597AB4676.jpeg
64D2B5A2-EA19-49DD-AF1B-246B32C9EE98.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah id start up copper again with him looking like that
Exactly! Now can you understand why I’m so concerned about adding this fish back into my DT?

Just want to say, it’s mostly bacterial. Blue tangs are notorious for having this issue, but I’d rather be extra cautious than wonder if there was ich mixed into the bacterial stuff.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting.

Why am I bringing this up? Because I treated my fish with copper and they are right now in copper observation tank. They don’t show any symptoms of ich, but I’m afraid I cross contaminated their tank with water that could have had ich on it. I’m watching them every day but no ich is coming out.

On top of this: my blue tang got a bacterial/viral nodules after exposure to copper to the point where it LOOKS like it has ich. I have no way of differentiating if there is ich/velvet mixed in.

Does ANYONE know how to observe fish after copper? I read that ich can hide in “immune” fish indefinitely. I have no clue how to properly observe my fish.

I’m thinking to keep my fish in therapeutic copper for 30 days. Transfer fish straight into DT from full copper.

Because this is crazy! I can’t sleep at night because my fallow is almost over and I’m here thinking I contaminated my fish with ich post treatment.

Imagine how I’d feel when I add my fish into my DT and ich breaks through?

Im under the impression that my fish can be asymptomatic to ich for months until a stressful event occurs.

So. My ideal situation: find a way to guarantee to know if ich is in my treated QT fish without retreating them in copper. If there’s no sure fire way to know, I’ll treat them again and try extremely hard to prevent any possibility for cross contamination.
My guess is the nodules you are seeing on the blue tang are idiopathic mucus plugs - fairly common in tangs treated with copper. They are typically larger and more protruding than ich trophonts.
There are are variety of strategies to end a copper treatment. As you know, I like to use 30 days coppersafe, then a 2 week prazi treatment and then two weeks observation. That coincides pretty close to a good fallow period. An even safer method is to do that, but then ramp the copper up at the very end and move the fish out then. The idea is that will reduce/kill any lingering tomites/theronts. That is a bit much for most folks though(grin).
Jay

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 days more for the 2 weeks observation time for my fish post copper.

My tank has been fallow for 3 months! I’m DESPERATE to get my fish back into my tank.

One voice is telling me: is 3 days more REALLY gonna make a difference??? You did everything perfectly and the fish look clean with no symptoms with daily, long observations!

But the voice of reason is telling me: it’s 3 more days. Just wait it out.

Gah! This is so tempting!!

:)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a black mollie in there. How likely is ich going to show within 3. More. Days.

;Blackeye

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of this is an exact science. Three days probably won’t matter, but you should ask yourself - do the fish need to be moved out because they aren’t in a stable condition, or are you just anxious to have them back in the DT?
Jay

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of this is an exact science. Three days probably won’t matter, but you should ask yourself - do the fish need to be moved out because they aren’t in a stable condition, or are you just anxious to have them back in the DT?
Jay
It’s the former. One of my clown fish got this black marks (not parasites) and I’m worried that a small tank is allowing a lot of bacteria build up.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back