Does calcium need to be stable

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does calcium always need to be a specific number?
Just add any alkalinity supplements to keep KH stable (if you need to) and the corresponding calcium supplement based on the Alkalinity consumption to keep the ratio between calcium and alkalinity stable.

Upvote 0

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is the most important to keep stable in my opinion, everything else is more forgiving. The times ive lost a coral from a alk swing, its almost garenteed that one coral will at least suffer from a alk swing. Especially SPS corals. Softies and LPS are quite forgiving of everything most the time.

This is just my experience, hope this helps!

Auto doser was the best investment, took daily testing to chime in, but reef is balanced now and seeing better results.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is the most important to keep stable in my opinion, everything else is more forgiving. The times ive lost a coral from a alk swing, its almost garenteed that one coral will at least suffer from a alk swing. Especially SPS corals. Softies and LPS are quite forgiving of everything most the time.

This is just my experience, hope this helps!

Auto doser was the best investment, took daily testing to chime in, but reef is balanced now and seeing better results.
I currently only have soft corals, should I get dosing equipment

Upvote 0

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently can’t take a picture but I don’t think it’s anything abnormal
Have you got an automatic top off? What’s your pH? How much Alkalinity does it consume? I dosed a weak kalkwasser solution in my softy tank for years to address all the above. Then as you get more and more coralline growing, just increase the potency as it uses more and more alkalinity.

Upvote 0

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently only have soft corals, should I get dosing equipment
I would only worry about a auto doser once you actually need to dose anything. You will know as either water changes wont be enough or if you want to stretch out your water changes. There is a bit to mastering a balance, it takes a bit of time to find it and lots of testing at the beginning

The short answer is you probably dont need to stress as much about water chemistry with softies

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only worry about a auto doser once you actually need to dose anything. You will know as either water changes wont be enough or if you want to stretch out your water changes. There is a bit to mastering a balance, it takes a bit of time to find it and lots of testing at the beginning

The short answer is you probably dont need to stress as much about water chemistry with softies
Okay thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got an automatic top off? What’s your pH? How much Alkalinity does it consume? I dosed a weak kalkwasser solution in my softy tank for years to address all the above. Then as you get more and more coralline growing, just increase the potency as it uses more and more alkalinity.
I do have an auto top off, my ph is 8.2 and I’m not sure how much all my tank consumes

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I’m not dosing everything will be fine? I am currently raising my salinity

Yes, if alk dosing is not needed, then there's typically no need to even bother measuring calcium and magnesium.

Upvote 0

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this helps.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210728-150542_APEX Fusion.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210728-150542_APEX Fusion.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 31
  • SmartSelect_20210728-150552_APEX Fusion.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210728-150552_APEX Fusion.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 29
  • SmartSelect_20210728-150630_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210728-150630_Gallery.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back