Does cemiclean work?

Auqaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.
So I’ve been dealing with cyano algae for a few months now. I tried waiting it out but eventually i dosed cemiclean. It’s been over 2 weeks now and I’m not getting the results I’d expect. It seems to be slowing down but it’s far from being eradicated.
I removed the cup of the skimmer and the skimmer is still overflowing…..so I suspect the cemiclean is still working?
is longer then 2 weeks expected for cemiclean to work?
Thanks

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to follow the directions for it EXACTLY. This should have taken a few days, not a few weeks.
Also, it may solve the immediate issue, but you still need to figure out why you have cyano, or it's just going to come back.
I used it once in one of my smaller tanks. Cyano was gone in 48 hours.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean is very effective against some strains of cyano but less effective against others. You may have a strain that is more resistant to the antibiotic in Chemiclean.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helps to manually remove as much as possible before dosing. I agree targeting the source of the problem helps too (likely something decomposing).

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Id siphon out as much as you can possibly get. Not only to help chemiclean work but also because once chemiclean is introduced and cyano starts melting it will release nutrients back into the water column and send params sky high.
Most important thing I've noticed with chemiclean is once you think you have enough aeration, quadruple that for it to be most effective. Having a small tank to put fish in while you do this would be extremely beneficial.
More air and you can literally watch it melt away in front of your eyes.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.
So I’ve been dealing with cyano algae for a few months now. I tried waiting it out but eventually i dosed cemiclean. It’s been over 2 weeks now and I’m not getting the results I’d expect. It seems to be slowing down but it’s far from being eradicated.
I removed the cup of the skimmer and the skimmer is still overflowing…..so I suspect the cemiclean is still working?
is longer then 2 weeks expected for cemiclean to work?
Thanks

I’m only answering the specific question asked in the title:

Yes. It works. I used it nearly six weeks after performing all other mitigations and corrections.

You should see results inside of two days. Complete eradication not much longer after that.

Your mileage may vary depending on suggestions others have already stated.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back