Does coralline algae grow onto sand that is glued down?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used cement and large particle sand to cover seams in my aquascape, like in the bulk reef supply NSA video. I am wondering if coralline algae will be able to grow on top of that sand that is glued down? I know it doesn’t grow eel on regular sand beds so is it different since the sand is glued down and doesn’t move?
Here’s a pic of a spot on my scape for example.

image.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if coraline does not grow on it something else will.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they do, you won't notice a difference unless you squint. (See pic) Long term some zoas, shrooms or other corals will encrust over it

Screenshot_20210220-183513_Gallery.jpg
Is that part covered with sand too like in my image? I Wasn’t sure

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes lol, the circled part is concrete + sand mix. My sand was finer than yours but its already been crusted many times over.

can't tell the diff? Exactly....

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used cement and large particle sand to cover seams in my aquascape, like in the bulk reef supply NSA video. I am wondering if coralline algae will be able to grow on top of that sand that is glued down? I know it doesn’t grow eel on regular sand beds so is it different since the sand is glued down and doesn’t move?
Here’s a pic of a spot on my scape for example.

image.jpg
Probably depends on the mineral the grain is, some rock minerals might discourage coralline. Not all sand is equal, unless it is derived from the same source rock.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back