Does Cycling A Tank Before Adding Live Rock Increase The Chances That Hitchhikers Survive?

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to add a lot of live rock to the tank, no additional cycling will be required and could be counter- productive. To limit bacterial competition, you don't want to encourage a lot of bacterial growth before introducing that which will be included with the live rock. And...In my opinion, the very act of driving ammonia up to start an old school cycle just gives mother nature a signal to send all sorts of uglies. Your tank may never have a detectable ammonia rise if using quality live rock.

There are two grades of live rock available from most vendors, Base and Premium. Base rock has less of the complex life on it. That is the stuff that tends to die off and raise ammonia. It does contain suitable bacteria, coralline, and other cryptic organisms needed to establish the tank. It is usually only about 66% of the price of the premium rock to boot! This is what I would start the tank with. You can order the premium rock after the tank is better established if you think the tank needs a little diversity boost.

I also think that even base rock survives better, particularly the coralline, if shipped in water rather than in wet newspaper. I know, shipping with water is more expensive, but it is worth the price. Tampa Bay Saltwater is a quality vendor and provides direction for minimizing hitchhikers and acclimating the rock into the system. BTW, hitchhikes aren't the end of the world. I really think the threat is exaggerated.
I'm very much looking forward to the hitchhikers! I've reached out to the folks at TBS directly and look forward to doing business with them in the near future!

OP
OP
OldRed1

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a newly installed tank with no inhabitants in right?

I see no reason not to add it directly to the tank if so - Any hitchhikers that can survive shipping in a dry box with wet towels are most likely going to survive whatever waste the rock then gives off in the water too.

Adding it directly to the tank MAY give off some dieoff in the form of ammonia but if you are cycling this tank/rock then thats a bonus anyway. It will essentially just start your cycle for you without any effort needed - Obviously you would need to add to this.....

We dont really "cycle" water - We "cycle" surfaces as thats where the bacteria predominantly live. So you cant really "PRE-cycle" the tank without the rock in it to begin with - It would be counter productive and take an age to have very little effect.
Thank you for clarifying the cycling surfaces versus water difference. Now that you say it, it makes so much more sense!

And to be clear, the tank is not yet set up. We're about a week out from getting wet, and so I am doing as much planning and preparation as I can to make sure things go as smoothly as can be hoped.

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@LiverockRocks In your startup guide, you recommend that reefers do not cure live rock. Would your rock be safe to add directly to the tank without a cycle?
Howdy,

Yes, definitely do not cure TBS ocean live rock.

Ocean live rock treated correctly from harvest to shipping (submerged) means that it arrives healthy and alive.
Only neglected or dying rock needs to be "cured".
  • Healthy base live rock can go directly into a new tank / pre-cycled tank. It will cycle a new tank in combination with ocean sand. There are fewer delicate organisms on it.
  • Healthy premium live rock can go directly into an established tank / post-cycled tank. It requires an environment already processing ammonia via healthy microorganisms found in base live rock & sand. There are more delicate organisms on premium that don't like parameter swings or ammonia. (sponges, tunicates, bivalves, macro-algae, corals)
  • We recommend the Package procedure for cycling NEW tanks because it builds the foundations for a stable and healthy marine environment.
Ocean Harvested Rock

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
from TBS, you simply surgically remove the suggested items, keep the coralline and pods and some light attachments if you want to try them, keep them kept in a high water change container / no other additives required/ for 7-10 days and if the water doesn't stink at that time, you move them over as skip cycle rocks.

Testing for ammonia will not help you, it will only mislead you; folks who bring up totally barren rocks can't get a non digital ammonia test to reveal their start date, you'd have no chance using cured rocks the .5 reading will drive you insane

(and digitally, on seneye, you'd be .002-.006 maximum nh3, safe zone)

smelling the cure water at day 7-10 is the only verification you need. if it smells like rotten eggs, cure longer. if its ocean-y, then you're into what we did above for 7 pages.
Howdy @brandon429,
Just want to clarify a bit here as you referenced TBS; we treat live rock & sand as if it were a fish. Always submerged and with care, so you receive it in top health.

Base rock is very plain, very little exterior lifeforms to die off. Because the live rock has been well cared for, the microorganisms inside base rock will process the little bit of ammonia produced by placing the base rock in a new tank. Thus, base rock is excellent for cycling a new tank because it has both the organisms to process ammonia and -in a new tank- will provide a touch of ammonia to feed the organisms that process it.

Now give this functioning new tank a week to settle in or complete the cycle. * the addition of ocean live sand with base rock creates a powerful ammonia processing team * Then add Premium rock.

Premium rock is what we call live rock with all the pretty & more delicate organisms on it (sponges, tunicates, bivalves, corals, etc). Now this type of live rock demands a stable and mature environment. Premium rock is not good for cycling a new tank, just like you wouldn't place an SPS or an LPS or even a Softy in an uncycled tank. It will most likely die. Premium is great in a cycled tank for hobbyist to enjoy the appearance and the challenge of caring for the various hitchhiking sponges, corals, bivalves, etc.

Curing TBS live rock, whether base or premium, defeats the purpose of what we do.

You are spot on regarding the curing for other sources of live rock.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back