Does dosing AFR provide enough trace elements to support zooxanthellae in a WC free system with a refugium, or should I also be dosing Chaetogro?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP test will give a real answer. Food items for fish might replace some of the trace elements that AFR doesnt?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think one can give a generally correct answer for all aquaria because it ties trace elements to calcification demand, while trace element consumption is caused by many more creatures. I expect that even if it can keep up in a high alk demand, mostly hard coral tank, it cannot keep up in a low calcification tank with lots of soft corals, macroalgae, etc.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think one can give a generally correct answer for all aquaria because it ties trace elements to calcification demand, while trace element consumption is caused by many more creatures. I expect that even if it can keep up in a high alk demand, mostly hard coral tank, it cannot keep up in a low calcification tank with lots of soft corals, macroalgae, etc.
Thanks. Since I have a mixed reef with macro, Ill continue to supplement until I can properly test for trace elements.

yngwie111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on this same page. Been dosing AFR and Chaetogro in a mixed reef with heavy macros in the DT. Very curious about what traces I'm low/high on. Awaiting ICP test kit and will see what it says.

ArtifishaI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on this same page. Been dosing AFR and Chaetogro in a mixed reef with heavy macros in the DT. Very curious about what traces I'm low/high on. Awaiting ICP test kit and will see what it says.
any update? wondering if i can slim down to just AFR without ChaetoGro... low to medium coral usage

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All for reef lacks potassium. I would highly recommend getting the salifert potassium test kit if you are going this route.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I've never done an ICP test and only dose AFR, but have codium, Botrycladia and pom pom in my 10g. Mixed reef plus ocean hitchhikers. So maybe more trace elements would be good!?

Maybe yes.

Foods are a major source of trace elements, so there are too many variables to give any perfect answer without either testing, or trying a supplement and looking to see if there is any benefit.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an ICP test while the tank was running on AFR only, and I was lacking in a large amount of elements. I did not perform WCs and would recommend you do if dosing it. Despite its claims, I would now only use it to maintain dKH and Cal. It has advantages and disadvantages over two part, but I no longer use it as my DT is now a nem/softie cube and my parameters don't really change with regular WCs. Hope this helps.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an ICP test while the tank was running on AFR only, and I was lacking in a large amount of elements. I did not perform WCs and would recommend you do if dosing it. Despite its claims, I would now only use it to maintain dKH and Cal. It has advantages and disadvantages over two part, but I no longer use it as my DT is now a nem/softie cube and my parameters don't really change with regular WCs. Hope this helps.

Interesting as mine was nearly spot on without water changes. Only a few metals were slightly elevated

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting as mine was nearly spot on without water changes. Only a few metals were slightly elevated

He mentioned his was a soft coral and anemone tank, which is the exact scenario where one expects a product dosed to maintain alk and calcium will provide insufficient trace elements.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He mentioned his was a soft coral and anemone tank, which is the exact scenario where one expects a product dosed to maintain alk and calcium will provide insufficient trace elements.
It is a softie tank NOW. Sorry if I was unclear about that. Though my old DT, where I was using AFR, had a large number of soft coral frags (25 maybe?) In additionto the lps and sps.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a softie tank NOW. Sorry if I was unclear about that. Though my old DT, where I was using AFR, had a large number of soft coral frags (25 maybe?) In additionto the lps and sps.

OK, my point is that the more noncalcifying photosynthetic organisms in the tank (soft corals, anemones, macro and micro algae, cyano, dinos, etc.), the more likely is AFR to not supply sufficient trace elements to meet the deamnd.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who are really concerned about trace elements in AFR I think is better to use the version (I think they call it CarboCalcium) which is the same without trace and other elements and to continue dosing trace elements as they do before starting AFR.

From what I know All for Reef is Calcium formate (which is Calcium and Alkalinity additive and a weak organic carbon sourcein the same time) with some Magnesium and some trace elements (without potassium obviously) and CarboCalcium is only Calcium formate (Calcium and Alkalinity and a weak organic carbon source) without other elements.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back