Does feed krill to anemones cause them to bubble?

Does feeding krill to anemones every few days cause them to bubble?

• Yes

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • No idea

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been seguested in another thread that feed krill every other day to BTAs would cause them to bubble. I have approximately 36-40 BTA in my 300 gallon currently. While some of them do bubble on occasion, most of the time they do not. Personally I do not believe it will Mae a difference. I plan to fee 3 of my BTS krill every other day to see if it makes a difference. The three I have selected are high in my tank in a high flow area. One rose BTA to the left above the lower green and purple BTA and both green and purples were selected, so I can easily feed the same ones consistently.
20201120_112546.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
laverda

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's still unknown why some bta will bubble and some do not. two btas in same exact conditions and one might bubble and the other one may not.
That has been my experience as well. I will have one or two with bubbles surrounded by 5 that don't. Someone must know the trick as almost all the BTAs you see at Reef-A-Palooza have bubbles.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that food can make btas bubble, but I don’t actually know if that’s true or if krill specifically is best for that. Something interesting to see would be if you fed a couple other ones a different food and saw what they did compared to the krill.
On a side note, those purple and green ones are very nice looking! Where did you find them?

OP
OP
laverda

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a large krill pack last night and fed 4 anemones. The 4th one is a small green and purple that has not been getting much light due all the rainbow BTAs surrounding it.
My rose and green and purple anemones have not done as well since I got the rainbow which has multiplied like crazy over 3 years.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was a universal truth, we would know it by now. Some bta's may respond like this from feeding, but certainly not all or even the majority.

OP
OP
laverda

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that food can make btas bubble, but I don’t actually know if that’s true or if krill specifically is best for that. Something interesting to see would be if you fed a couple other ones a different food and saw what they did compared to the krill.
On a side note, those purple and green ones are very nice looking! Where did you find them?
I don't know either. That is why this experiment. To hard to know which anemones would get what food if I were to test multiple foods at once.
If these 4 bubble up then I would stop feeding them krill and then feed krill to some of the others and see if they bubble up also.
I can test another food after that. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
laverda

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we should ask @Bulk Reef Supply to do some testing on what causes them to bubble
I fully expect I will prove that feeding them krill does not the cause them to bubble. I am open to be proven wrong, which is why I am doing this experiment. It would be cool if BRS were to supply some different foods to try.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 BTA in the exact same spot in my tank. So same light, same flow, they eat LRS of all the different varieties. 2 have a few bubbles...some days more than others....3 nothing. I think this is one of the great mysteries in the world. Right up there with the Bermuda Triangle and Bigfoot!

OP
OP
laverda

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was a universal truth, we would know it by now. Some bta's may respond like this from feeding, but certainly not all or even the majority.
I tend to agree with you! That is why I will reverse the feedings if the ones selected bubble.
If my results were to show krill does in fact cause them to bubble them others could do the same and confirm or refute my results.
Personally I suspect it may be a combination of things. Like lower nutrients. I am pretty sure it is not lighting or flow and my tank is pretty high in nutrients with my phosphate at 0.6 and nitrates 20-25.

OP
OP
laverda

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 BTA in the exact same spot in my tank. So same light, same flow, they eat LRS of all the different varieties. 2 have a few bubbles...some days more than others....3 nothing. I think this is one of the great mysteries in the world. Right up there with the Bermuda Triangle and Bigfoot!
That is my experience as well.
Have you ever had yours get all twisted and curly? First time mine did that I was concerned something was wrong.
I will dig through my photos and see if I can find one.

OP
OP
laverda

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to answer this. I found it many years ago (15 at least) very small and bleach pretty badly with almost no color. I don't remember why I decided to buy it. Its funny that is the same store I went to last night that had a dozen or so bleached white anemones. It is truly sad that most will not survive! Also that they charge a lot for them.

dricc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The real question is ............
what do you feed bigfoot?

reefer024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is based off my reply in another thread. This is what I've found that works for me to make mine bubble. Not saying it will or will not make another bta bubble up. My bta if not fed regularly will not bubble but if I fed krill every other day it would stay bubbled up. One photo is when not fed regularly and the other is when it is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201121-145758.png
    Screenshot_20201121-145758.png
    481.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot_20201120-113059.png
    Screenshot_20201120-113059.png
    843.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20190912_214533057.jpg
    IMG_20190912_214533057.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 115

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has been my experience as well. I will have one or two with bubbles surrounded by 5 that don't. Someone must know the trick as almost all the BTAs you see at Reef-A-Palooza have bubbles.

I just assume they were more freshly collected or smaller/fresh splits and that is why they are bubbled at frag swaps. I would assume they also choose to bring the ones they think will sell.

OP
OP
laverda

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is based off my reply in another thread. This is what I've found that works for me to make mine bubble. Not saying it will or will not make another bta bubble up. My bta if not fed regularly will not bubble but if I fed krill every other day it would stay bubbled up. One photo is when not fed regularly and the other is when it is.
Thanks for posting the photos of your BTAs. Care to share your phosphate and nitrate levels?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back