Does glass tops reduce par?

rkseaslug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DIY led set up over my 100 gal. The tank has 1/4 inch glass top. Top always has a lot of condensation on it. Does any one know if the glass reduces par from the LEDs? Would a thinner poly top be better? Go topless?

scooterc268

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go topless.. LOL.

I would have to imagine that the build up of condensation on the glass would have an effect on the PAR values. I would have to let an expert chime in on that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to recall reading that a clean glass top itself has a very small impact on PAR (acrylic even less) - both are negligible. The condensation droplets themselves are not the problem. Any impact they would have (each droplet could function as a lens) would average out over time similar to surface disturbances / waves. The issue is any deposits left after the droplets evaporate. Over time they decrease the clarity of the glass or acrylic and could reduce PAR.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
build a screen top from polypropylene netting works great, keeps fish in and doesnt restrict the light! a guy on here was selling the netting of BRS has it! very easy to make and work great!

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also im my opinion glass tops trap gases between the water and glass and dont allot for proper gas exchange between the water and air. the netting would allow it with out any restrictions.

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree about the screen top. I just built an acrylic top for my tank and instantly had condensation on the cover, which greatly reduced light penetration.

DSCN3854.jpg

Then I went with a screen top and now I am much happier.

DSCN3860.jpg

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the netting i used but i found it else where for much cheaper! i got it from a guy off of ebay.

Clear 1/4" Screen Netting 6.5' x 6.5' - English

then you just go to the hardware store and buy aluminum trimming for a window screen and then the plastic corners for it. get the seal seam and tool and push it and the netting in and your done! its really easy! and makes a great cover becuase it sits down into the trim lip and you cant even see it! i ahve a pic of one i built a while back ill try and find

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is some bad pics of it... sorry tanks looks horrible like this lol glad it dont look like that anymore!!!

can barely see it looking at the tank from the front or any side.. can only see looking down at it from the top

IMG_00343.jpg

IMG_00332.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back