Does green hair algae and bryopsis consumed no3 and po4??

Chandlertank108

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, currently I have GHA and bryopsis on my tank. Been doing water testing these past weeks. My question is does these algae consumed or holding no3 and po4 so it become undetectable during my water testing? I been dosing no3 and po4 as well but it seems hard to bring them up. Currently no3 is at 5 and po4 at 0.04. If I didn’t dose in 3 days then those level will be at 0. Thank you

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, currently I have GHA and bryopsis on my tank. Been doing water testing these past weeks. My question is does these algae consumed or holding no3 and po4 so it become undetectable during my water testing? I been dosing no3 and po4 as well but it seems hard to bring them up. Currently no3 is at 5 and po4 at 0.04. If I didn’t dose in 3 days then those level will be at 0. Thank you
The quick answer is yes algae in general will consume nutrients including Nitrate and Phosphate at a 16:1 ratio (The ratio is in theory so take it with a gain of salt). It has been my experience it is more like 30:1 as a total though with my setup it's impossible to know how much algae only would contribute.

You'll of course want to find a happy medium eventually. With enough fish and perhaps some adjustments on the amount of algae in the system you can improve and stabilize those numbers without additive.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quick answer is yes algae in general will consume nutrients including Nitrate and Phosphate at a 16:1 ratio (The ratio is in theory so take it with a gain of salt). It has been my experience it is more like 30:1 as a total though with my setup it's impossible to know how much algae only would contribute.

You'll of course want to find a happy medium eventually. With enough fish and perhaps some adjustments on the amount of algae in the system you can improve and stabilize those numbers without additive.

That number is the average of phytoplankton. I also wouldn't use the word "theory" in that sense as a scientific theory (which is better suited for this hobby) is the complete opposite of the common usage of the word "theory"

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That number is the average of phytoplankton. I also wouldn't use the word "theory" in that sense as a scientific theory (which is better suited for this hobby) is the complete opposite of the common usage of the word "theory"
Perhaps this should have been named "english to english" so everyone could better appreciate the lesson.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps this should have been named "english to english" so everyone could better appreciate the lesson.

Well it matters because a hypothesis is different than a theory, and in science communication this is a big issue. But if you'd like to do so, go ahead. I guess I'll start calling this freshwater coral since opposites mean the same thing.

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it matters because a hypothesis is different than a theory, and in science communication this is a big issue. But if you'd like to do so, go ahead. I guess I'll start calling this freshwater coral since opposites mean the same thing.
Too bad Big Bang Theory is over. Would have been a great submission for a scene with Sheldon.

Back