Does it hurt to run a carbon reactor with Core 7 base elements and a Refugium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if I should run a carbon reactor with Core 7 Base Elements and a Refugium.

The reason I'm asking is I added a carbon reactor when I cut out some Palythoa, to "soak up" the poison. It really helps reduce the poison and keeps my LFS corals from crashing. I then decided to keep running the carbon reactor. Then after 1-2 weeks I noticed the Chaeto in the fuge was getting soft and not growing. I then turned off the reactor and it looks like the Chaeto is not getting any worse after 3 days. I ran about 3/4 cup of BRS ROX 0.8 to make sure I got rid of most of the poison, which may be too much for maintaining the system.

So, my question is ... Are there elements or nutrients in Core 7 Base Elements that a carbon reactor would strip out, thereby hurting the Chaeto?

Info about my system:
• Total volume of about 60 gallons (40g display, 10g fuge, 10g sump)
• Use Tropic Marine Pro-Reef sea salt
• 10% water change once a week
• Dose Core 7 Base Elements and Potassium Nitrate
• Parameters - 7.0-7.8 dKh, 0.01-0.05 ppm Phosphate, 0.2-0.5 ppm Nitrates, 8.0-8.4 pH, 1.0250-1.0260 salinity

Thanks for any help on this.

Last edited:

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if I should run a carbon reactor with Core 7 Base Elements and a Refugium.

The reason I'm asking is I added a carbon reactor when I cut out some Palythoa, to "soak up" the poison. It really helps reduce the poison and keeps my LFS corals from crashing. I then decided to keep running the carbon reactor. Then after 1-2 weeks I noticed the Chaeto in the fuge was getting soft and not growing. I then turned off the reactor and it looks like the Chaeto is not getting any worse after 3 days. I ran about 3/4 cup of BRS ROX 0.8 to make sure I got rid of most of the poison, which may be too much for maintaining the system.

So, my question is ... Are there elements or nutrients in Core 7 Base Elements that a carbon reactor would strip out, thereby hurting the Chaeto?

Info about my system:
• Total volume of about 60 gallons (40g display, 10g fuge, 10g sump)
• Use Tropic Marine Pro-Reef sea salt
• 10% water change once a week
• Dose Core 7 Base Elements and Potassium Nitrate
• Parameters - 7.0-7.8 dKh, 0.01-0.05 ppm Phosphate, 0.2-0.5 ppm Nitrates, 8.0-8.4 pH, 1.0250-1.0260 salinity

Thanks for any help on this.
im running core 7 with a carbon reactor . depending on how good the carbon is . the carbon will strip out iron and other minor elements that ur cheato needs. u can always add iron I also think there s a. supplement for chaeto

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! How much carbon do you have in your reactor, in terms volume (cups/tablespoons)?
I have a small amount about two tablespoons . and a small amount of GFO mixed you want to start off with really small amounts run it check your PO4 you will see the water clear up in a few days

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back