Does live Sand and Live rock from another tank will fastener the initial cicle?

BRS

zeroblake

View Badges
Reaction score
43ED8423-16A2-46CE-ACDC-6A86F007AC89.jpeg
hi you doing Reefers!! hey! I have a question about Cured LiveSand and Cured LIveRock from a Old and Mature Reef Tank will help to my inicial cycle! I hear someday that if you use live sand and live rock directly from a actual old and well mature reef tank will reduce or basically you’ll start with a cycle ready to add any live stock to the new tank!! is this real or is there some science behind it?? I had this NUVO 20 gallon tank for 2-3 year in my Garage I save all it original package, so I did a deep clean in my garage and I thought to be a good idea into start in this hobby once again, but I want to add some live to this Nano real quick, I have everything to start over again, you know.!the Tank, this dry Rock (which I might not use it if I can use the live rock from another tank) will go the same for the Live Sand, Skimmer, Kessil Light, InTank media filters, heathers, Pro Salt everything. so; it is been awhile since I had a running tank with pair of SnowFlake Clowns, Bubble Tip Anemone, cleaner crew, Corals and so, Is there anyone who actually did this try in your own tank? if so, what was the results in the first month, any fish or corals or inverts die in this process? I fell so exited to get back in this hobby but I have a little rush to see it back to live..
I Thank you in advance and wish you a happy new year, I appreciated your help answering this thread.. Gracias.
)

Lazys Coral House

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Sorry, I might have read your post wrong, but you are saying you are getting live rock from another tank/system that has been running for a while?

If yes, it will help "seed" your new system, but it will still go through its own cycle. It will help speed it up a little bit, but to be honest with you, there are a lot of products/methods you can use/buy now that cycle tanks fairly quickly - all of which you can find on this forum.

The only issue to think about when getting live rock from another system, is potential bad hitchikers. For example, if you are getting it from a tank that has had ich or other fish diseases, you'll likely bring it into your new system. Other things could be aptasia and bad inverts.

If it were me, I'd personally go the sterile route and start fresh. I think you won't notice a big difference!

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Basically if you have a tank up and running and move all the sand and rock from that tank to a new one, you do not have to cycle the tank, you can put the fish straight in...that’s the quick answer.
+1 to this, if you move all of it. But you might also experience a mini-cycle, especially if sand is disturbed and there is some die-off in the process.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
If your are taking old live rock from one system transferring to new system you won't see a cycle. I didnt. Thats how I always start a new tank. Lots of bio media. No cycle and fish in the same day.

OP
Z

zeroblake

View Badges
Reaction score
Sorry, I might have read your post wrong, but you are saying you are getting live rock from another tank/system that has been running for a while?

If yes, it will help "seed" your new system, but it will still go through its own cycle. It will help speed it up a little bit, but to be honest with you, there are a lot of products/methods you can use/buy now that cycle tanks fairly quickly - all of which you can find on this forum.

The only issue to think about when getting live rock from another system, is potential bad hitchikers. For example, if you are getting it from a tank that has had ich or other fish diseases, you'll likely bring it into your new system. Other things could be aptasia and bad inverts.

If it were me, I'd personally go the sterile route and start fresh. I think you won't notice a big difference!
Yes! I’m planning to use different live rock and live sand from another tank, so I may not use the ones in the the photo. and Yes! I thought about the unwanted hitchhikers that may come in the rocks or sand, in the other hand if I decided to start up with live stuff will be from a Anemone Tank from a Friend but my concern is if this doesn’t work as planned I will feel really really bad if anything dies which could happen. that’s why I post this thread asking if anybody has used live rock and live sand from another old tank.
I appreciated your answer my friend.

Reefingmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I appreciated your help.
yes I know there’ll be die-off especially beneficial bacteria, as far I remember.
So, we actually bought our tank from someone else and moved it to our house. We used his rock/sand etc and didn’t experience any cycle. Then, over time, we switched to the rock we wanted and let his old rock seed our new rock. Our tank is pretty dang stable and I totally attribute it to using all that old bacteria/rocks/sand etc

Lazys Coral House

Erik-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
great!! have you added an anemone doing the same transfer??
I had a RBTA that began to reproduce like crazy in my reef tank. I decided to move them all to another tank I had running. I decided to rearrange the rock work on both tanks as well. How I did it, was small water changes everyday on both tanks for a few days to get the water parameters as close to each other as possible. When everything was balanced, I switched everything over. It worked perfectly fine and all nems survived (over 20). If its your own rocks/sand etc, its safer than using rocks/sand from another system.

BRS

WHEN WAS YOUR MOST RECENT ADDITION TO YOUR TANK?

• Today!

Votes: 59 12.9%
  • Yesterday...

Votes: 52 11.4%
  • Last week!

Votes: 134 29.3%
  • Last month.

Votes: 83 18.1%
  • More than a month ago.

Votes: 89 19.4%
  • Probably a year or more ago.

Votes: 23 5.0%
  • I don't remember...

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • My tank is brand new and I still haven't added anything to it yet!

Votes: 16 3.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
noopsyche