OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This same clown had lumps under its skins about 3/4 months ago that nobody seemed to no what it was. So I put it into quarantine and treated with copper for 31 days the lumps all cleared up and the fish was returned back to the dt to which she then attacked my male that much she ended up killing it so now she is on her own. I recently had a swing in alk and that’s when these dots appeared can anyone identify what it is. Other fish in the tank are a Midas blenny, watchman goby and a blue damsel none of which have any white dots on them. Thanks in advanced

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a better picture under white light?

I see three possibilities; ich, brooklynella or just idiopathic mucus.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I'm looking for is any sign of discrete white spots on the fins - that would lean me more towards ich. If the white spots are only on the body, then it could be Brooklynella or "idiopathic mucus". The latter is just excess mucus production as a result of an injury or some other stressor. Another thing that can cause this are coral stings - and I see the clown is hosting in a coral.

Does the fish show any other signs? Rapid breathing, poor appetite, folded fins while swimming?

Jay

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no
What I'm looking for is any sign of discrete white spots on the fins - that would lean me more towards ich. If the white spots are only on the body, then it could be Brooklynella or "idiopathic mucus". The latter is just excess mucus production as a result of an injury or some other stressor. Another thing that can cause this are coral stings - and I see the clown is hosting in a coral.

Does the fish show any other signs? Rapid breathing, poor appetite, folded fins while swimming?
Nope no other signs other than what you see in the pictures. Some days it is worse than others . Is there anything you can do for the idiopathic mucus if it is that ? I will take some more pics later when I’m back from work to see if there’s any change to see if you can identify what my clown has thanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wonder if coral stings are the culprit here?
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish immunity to sea anemones is partly through skin secretions, but also through motion - the clownfish swim in such a way that they don't set of the anemones nematocysts...I'm not sure that corals react the same way. That said, coral stings on clownfish are usually darker than this.

Jay

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish immunity to sea anemones is partly through skin secretions, but also through motion - the clownfish swim in such a way that they don't set of the anemones nematocysts...I'm not sure that corals react the same way. That said, coral stings on clownfish are usually darker than this.

Jay
Hmmm that leaves me torn in what I should do now. As I’m currently in the process of upgrading my tank. This clown won’t be going into the new display but some of the other fish and coral will. Im going to have to maybe put all fish in to quarantine and let my current tank go fallow for 71 days as this is going to become a little frag tank/invert and coral qt. would you treat the fish in qt or just see if the clown clears up with it not having a coral to host ?
Thanks again for your response

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, sorry - I'm not 100% sure it is a coral sting either, just nothing else seems to fit as well. The best thing to do would be if you could house the clown away from coral for at least a couple of weeks to see if the lesions heal.

Jay

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, sorry - I'm not 100% sure it is a coral sting either, just nothing else seems to fit as well. The best thing to do would be if you could house the clown away from coral for at least a couple of weeks to see if the lesions heal.

Jay
Cheers I appreciate your help.

OmuNegru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have the same problem with my clown, here:

She's eating well and is active, no other signs to send me to ich or brooklynella. No other fish in my tank, just some cuc and corals (sps and lps).

What do you think?

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have the same problem with my clown, here:

She's eating well and is active, no other signs to send me to ich or brooklynella. No other fish in my tank, just some cuc and corals (sps and lps).

What do you think?
Really hard to tell with blues. Try get some pics under whites

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back