Does my clownfish have ich

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got in from work and noticed my clownfish has loads of raised white spots/lumps running down his body is this ich ?

9BD93E95-CE7E-493C-9A9A-580C2FABD0E9.jpeg FDDA9256-7398-481D-9C08-75385E72F10A.jpeg

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he new to tank? What is hosting him? Other fish with issues?
No not new to the tank, indo torch host been in there a while though,and all other fish seem ok at the moment at least. Does ich make them feel uncomfortable as if it is itchy because watching make me feel as if it’s irritating

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, ich makes them itch and flash. That seems like a lot of spots for ich. Hopefully someone chimes in with more expertise than me.
The male clown looks to be hanging around a BTA. which is also new as if today is there a chance she could have been near that and been stung by it ?

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah same my first thought was ich but I’ve been lucky up to know not had to deal with any diseases so this is all new to me. Hopefully someone else can give me some info

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots seem largish, with more diffuse halos than I would expect from early stage ich.....more like ich that has been cooking for awhile, or something else altogether. What other fish are in the tank, and when was the last animal you added to the tank?
Jay

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first signs of the lumps they wasn’t there when I left for work this morning. Other fish are Another Clown,Midas Blenny, Blue Damsel and I added a pistol shrimp and goby pair about a week ago

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right guys I need your help. My clownfish still has these white dots and lumps which keep coming a going, it also developed a cloudy swollen eye which has since gone down and is not cloudy anymore. So here is my plan I am going to setup a quarantine tank and transfer all of my fish and leave the display fallow 8 weeks. In my QT I’m going to have a heater power head and a sponge filter and some pvc elbows for wish to hide. Does this sound ok ? Best way to go regarding bacteria as I want this setup ASAP and don’t have time to seed anything in DT should I add bottle bacteria ? Then what the best treatment method and what medication to use and how long ? Thanks in advance

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size qT do you have? If the spots come and go, that points more to ich. Moving all the fish to a QT and treating with copper for 30 days would be the best course of action (you'll need a test kit as well). However, managing the ammonia in the QT is going to be a challenge unless you have live rock or something you can pull from your DT that has lots of bacteria in it. Bottled formulations help, but don't always keep the ammonia below 0.25 ppm where it needs to be. With copper medications, be aware that some (Cupramine) will give you a false positive on the ammonia test, and others react badly if you use decholinators or ammonia detoxifying products while dosing them.

Jay

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t actually got the tank yet just going to use a clear container. Would you just pull the clown and try to trwat that but that being said once ich is present isn’t it always going to be unless I pull all fish and go fallow ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is ich, just pulling the clown for treatment leaves your other fish at risk. If none of the other fish are showing symptoms (after a month now?) they seem pretty resistant! Any chance you can get us a recent photo under white light?

Jay

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is ich, just pulling the clown for treatment leaves your other fish at risk. If none of the other fish are showing symptoms (after a month now?) they seem pretty resistant! Any chance you can get us a recent photo under white light?

Jay
Yeah no other fish showing signs but doesn’t that mean the ich will die off whilst the other clown is in QT or not ? Here are some pics

BC8545C0-14F0-4CFC-94CA-D6F29A1E4644.jpeg E9B47F35-545E-4445-9CE2-04F9F0F3D146.jpeg D6FFEF53-56EB-4775-8747-7D8E686B24EE.jpeg FEB71D37-72ED-43B1-ABF3-003F765BD376.jpeg

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea what it is but it seems to be coming out from underneath the scales.

In some of the pictures it looks a little like flukes, but in others not.

It doesn't look anything like Cryptocaryon, too large.

That clown looks like a wild fish, so it might be a less common or outright rare disease that isn't often found in the hobby. There is a lot more than Ick, Velvet, and the other usual suspects out there.

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea what it is but it seems to be coming out from underneath the scales.

In some of the pictures it looks a little like flukes, but in others not.

It doesn't look anything like Cryptocaryon, too large.

That clown looks like a wild fish, so it might be a less common or outright rare disease that isn't often found in the hobby. There is a lot more than Ick, Velvet, and the other usual suspects out there.
So what would you suggest treatment wise ?

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing what it is there is nothing to treat. Treating blindly may do more harm than good, especially treatments with copper.
I personally would use copper only if there is no other option available as copper is a toxin and immunosupressant.

How long do you have this fish and if recently bought, where did get it?
Did you add anything else lately?
Did you change anything lately?
Does the fish act sick?
Does any other fish act abnormal, or is unusually reclusive?

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing you could do is isolate the fish in case it is something infectious.

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing what it is there is nothing to treat. Treating blindly may do more harm than good, especially treatments with copper.
I personally would use copper only if there is no other option available as copper is a toxin and immunosupressant.

How long do you have this fish and if recently bought, where did get it?
Did you add anything else lately?
Did you change anything lately?
Does the fish act sick?
Does any other fish act abnormal, or is unusually reclusive?
I have had the fish for approx 6months and a family member owns a marine shop so got it from there which is where I get all my livestock from. The most recent things I added was a watchman gobby and a tiger pistol shrimp. The clown maybe did abit of flashing are first but doesn’t seem to do that anymore and doesn’t have any unusual behaviour, eats fine. I have just noticed the poop is white and stringy though which suggests internal parasite now but would that cause the white spots and lumps ? All others fish seem fine

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back