Does my clownfish look strange to you?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Still hasn't eaten anything that I can see. I see him spitting stuff out but he doesn't stray to far from that wall.

Long stringy looking poop which I was told was from mysis shrimp but he hasn't eaten as far as I can tell since this past weekend. I'd be lying if I said I felt enthusiastic about his well being. Not putting that on any of you, just being a bit defeated.

Ammonia appears to be 0.

Mucus feces can commonly be caused by not eating.
Is the clown in a tank that you can dose with metronidazole?
Jay

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mucus feces can commonly be caused by not eating.
Is the clown in a tank that you can dose with metronidazole?
Jay
He is in a med tank if that is what you are getting at. No inverts or corals.

I assume that would be purchased as something like SeaChem Metroplex?

I looked around my room and all I have is KanaPlex (nearest store closes in 3 minutes)

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is in a med tank if that is what you are getting at. No inverts or corals.

I assume that would be purchased as something like SeaChem Metroplex?

I looked around my room and all I have is KanaPlex (nearest store closes in 3 minutes)
Yes, metroplex. The thought is that this could help if the core issue is internal gut protozoans.
Jay

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MetroPlex is in. Still alive. He has been hugging the back wall of the tank pointing down a lot. He likes that position I guess.

Lets hope this does the trick. More that "I haven't been eating poop" coming out of him.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is still not eating. Still hugging that back wall. Like he is in a trance. How long can a clownfish go without eating?

I saw him the other day take a bite but spit it out. Going to do a small water change on the med tank today to make sure ammonia doesnt freak out.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is still not eating. Still hugging that back wall. Like he is in a trance. How long can a clownfish go without eating?

I saw him the other day take a bite but spit it out. Going to do a small water change on the med tank today to make sure ammonia doesnt freak out.

If the clownfish isn't overly thin, it can survive two week without food. It didn't look overly thin to me in the video.

I can't say 100% if the metro will help, but you need to give it 72 hours at least to really see if it will.

The taking food in, but spitting it out is an issue that may not be easily fixed - first thing is to try and cut the food up into smaller pieces to see if that helps.

Jay

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the clownfish isn't overly thin, it can survive two week without food. It didn't look overly thin to me in the video.

I can't say 100% if the metro will help, but you need to give it 72 hours at least to really see if it will.

The taking food in, but spitting it out is an issue that may not be easily fixed - first thing is to try and cut the food up into smaller pieces to see if that helps.

Jay
Way ahead of you. I always chop the food up tiny.

I had to replace a little bit of the metro plex given the water change I did. I don't want him choking on ammonia.

He is very responsive though when I was sucking out food bits any time I got near him he was like "get away from me."

So he isn't completely numb yet.

Don't worry if something happens to him. You are doing what you can from your computer. This is my first run with a med tank so it is a bit of an experiment for me.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way ahead of you. I always chop the food up tiny.

I had to replace a little bit of the metro plex given the water change I did. I don't want him choking on ammonia.

He is very responsive though when I was sucking out food bits any time I got near him he was like "get away from me."

So he isn't completely numb yet.

Don't worry if something happens to him. You are doing what you can from your computer. This is my first run with a med tank so it is a bit of an experiment for me.

What ammonia levels are you seeing on your test kit?

Jay

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a stupid colorometer I am seeing "detectable" or a hint of less than .25.

Unfortunately I am having a hard time telling. Keep trying to get my Hannah checker to work but it keeps barfing low light errors at me.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea if these actually work well but Seachem makes an "Ammonia Alert" badge that you leave in the tank and they're inexpensive.
*never ran into an ammonia issue so I'll let others comment on whether or not they think these are worth using

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No idea if these actually work well but Seachem makes an Ammonia Alert badge that you leave in the tank and they're fairly inexpensive.
*never ran into an ammonia issue so I'll let others comment on whether or not they think these are worth using
I dont trust these after 2 weeks as I will not rely on a $7 badge to sustain hundreds in livestock. Like a PH strip, you dip it and remove immediately. This stays in water and is accurate? It is also for freshwater which lessens my confidence

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back