Does my fish list sound okay? 120 Gallon tank.

Dylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning a 120 gallon SPS tank. I have all the equipment on order at the moment... the filtration will be a Reef Octopus XP-2000 External skimmer, and carbon and phosban in media reactors.

Here's my list.

-Yellow belly regal tang
-Yellow tang
-5 or 6 Bartlett's anthias
-1 Borbonius anthia (Small, will rehome when it grows out of tank).
-Pair of flame wrasses
-Yellow Coris/Canary wrasse
-5 or 6 chromis
-Dragonface pipefish

Does this sound okay? Thanks :D

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds ok to me, i run a 180 and i have SPS, LPS and tons of fish! just do water changes, keep temp and water params stable and have lots of live rock !

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd skip the pipefish only because the other fish are pretty aggressive feeders. You may find yourself watching your pipefish waste away due to the competition.

OP
OP
Dylan

Dylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd skip the pipefish only because the other fish are pretty aggressive feeders. You may find yourself watching your pipefish waste away due to the competition.

My thoughts were that it will feed on copepods. Can I introduce it when the tank is more established?

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and it eats all day long but I have been told by other people not to get it for the same reason but it seem to be doing fine.

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a more established tank I'd go for it. If you do add the pipefish just make extra sure he isn't getting bullied by the rest of the crew and missing out on meals. My buddy keeps pipefish and seahorses in a dedicated aquarium after he lost 2 pipefish due to insufficient feeding in a community tank. You'll be surprised how fast they will eat a pod population.

OP
OP
Dylan

Dylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a more established tank I'd go for it. If you do add the pipefish just make extra sure he isn't getting bullied by the rest of the crew and missing out on meals. My buddy keeps pipefish and seahorses in a dedicated aquarium after he lost 2 pipefish due to insufficient feeding in a community tank. You'll be surprised how fast they will eat a pod population.

I'll pass on the pipefish for at least a year or so then. :)

Other than the pipefish, does the list sound okay?

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the rest sounds great. Should be a colorful and active mix. BTW, I'm a wrasse man myself!

ehocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd pass on the group of chromis. I have a 120 also and had a school of bartlett anthias and a school of chromis. It looked too busy. Once I removed all the Chromis, the tank didn't look so overcrowded.

Back