Does my foxface have ich or something Else?

Andersvendrup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

I need some help to id spots on my foxface.

It has some Brown markings and when looking from The sides it looks like a small pimple (The spots are not flat)

I dont know if its some kind of ich, or what it could be.

My standard parameters are all good, and all my fish is doping great.

As for a sidenote, my Blue tang had a small outbreak of ich, but it only lasted for a week, since i fed heavely to make sure it would survive.

A1D4629E-D610-41F9-88E1-41A77C4CD5BF.jpeg 9EE966F4-3657-413E-8E52-3307D3980BE6.jpeg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hej Anders!

Mine have had similar markings for the last three years, they come and go- and I know I have ich in the tank. Sadly, my tank is too big to do much about it but managing it with good husbandry and maintenance.

It looks like you have a fair amount of fish in your tank. Do you have the opportunity of setting up a quarantine system to administer a copper-based treatment for your fish while the ich-cycle die out in your display tank?

All the best- og held og lykke!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does any of your other fish show any signs of disease yet?

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all you did was feed heavy with your hippo you still have ich, it just dropped off to breed in the sand this is all normal life cycle. Only way to be rid of it would be to quarantine all your fish to treat with copper and let the tank go follow for around 70 days. Without doing that its nearly guaranteed to return.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

I need some help to id spots on my foxface.

It has some Brown markings and when looking from The sides it looks like a small pimple (The spots are not flat)

I dont know if its some kind of ich, or what it could be.

My standard parameters are all good, and all my fish is doping great.

As for a sidenote, my Blue tang had a small outbreak of ich, but it only lasted for a week, since i fed heavely to make sure it would survive.

A1D4629E-D610-41F9-88E1-41A77C4CD5BF.jpeg 9EE966F4-3657-413E-8E52-3307D3980BE6.jpeg

There are two things this could be: 1) black ich, a turbellarian worm, or 2) it could be granulation tissue from an ich infection. There is no way to really visually tell these apart, maybe I could if you get clear pictures without the glass glare on them (black ich looks shaper and raised, while the granulation tissue is flatter and more diffuse).

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pics are a little dark to fully determine, but I too thinking black ich as could also be hyper-melanization from a sting from anemone or even euphyllia coral.
These are turbellarian worms and likely the Paravortex version which are smaller and appear as grains of black spots
These worms have a single host life cycle producing several juveniles which can last up to 30 days but rarely do. Best is to treat with Praziquantel better known as prazi pro for two 8 day intervals with a water change on day 9.
other option is formalin based medication such as quick cure or ruby Rally Pro starting with a bath for 45 minutes followed by treatment
Do note that Prazi will lower both oxygen and appetite, so an airstone is recommended for added aeration and monitor water quality during treatment with a reliable test kit. In addition to Prazi, as Jay stated are worms that give it the appearance of ich as melanin pigmentation causes the appearance of black dots . Typically, worm treatments such as PraziPro will work as will formalin based treatment for more challenging strains and even Ruby Rally Pro. If none available immediately, you can give fish a 5 minutes freshwater dip for temporary relief same temperature as display tank.
It takes one worm to start an infestation even if fish were quarantined

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back