Does my frammer coral have brown jelly disease?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frammer has not been opening up much. The skeletal base appears to have darkened mainly a green algae slime it appears and some purple areas which might be coraline. Near the heads the skeletal area is turning brown it appears. I've had it for over a month and my tank is 5 months old. It is mounted on a rock near the bottom with XR 15 lights. Water parameters have been decent with only some fluctuations in phosphate levels.

20210808_104447.jpg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impossible to tell from the picture. Can you post a pic in the tank. Also, what are your params (saying ‘they’re good/stable’ doesn’t tell us anything, and a lot of the time when people say that they may be missing something that another set of eyes might notice).

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would need to see it in the tank. It’s normal for the skeleton to be covered in algae, but brown at the heads is a cause for concern.

Nothing brown inside the heads or jelly like substance but below the heads small portion of the skeletal structure seems to be brownish in color.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impossible to tell from the picture. Can you post a pic in the tank. Also, what are your params (saying ‘they’re good/stable’ doesn’t tell us anything, and a lot of the time when people say that they may be missing something that another set of eyes might notice).
Alk 9.1. Cal 435. Phosphate .07. Nitrates 10. Salinity 1.026. I don't have a magnesium checker. Weekly 15% water change with coral pro salt. No dosing, no refugium just running a sock and chemipure blue with an oversized skimmer. 65g display tank 15g sump. Temp at 77.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frogspawn in the far left corner has only been half open also but I don't observe any obvious signs of disease. The torches above it are about 5 inches away and the flow would not allow them to sting the frogspawn

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The head in the picture on the right looks injured, the other 2 seem okay. But placing the frammer into a container of water and taking a picture, if you suspect brown jelly would help others to see if there are issues with the tentacles. They should look melted.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell zoomed out. A pic of just the coral in question would help. A big red flag is flesh recession and the flesh around the skeleton turning brown. The jelly usually only comes when it’s too late.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The head in the picture on the right looks injured, the other 2 seem okay. But placing the frammer into a container of water and taking a picture, if you suspect brown jelly would help others to see if there are issues with the tentacles. They should look melted.

Yes, I agree with the right side head. There are 4 small heads on this piece but it just doesn't seem healthy and the dark coloring on the bottom of the heads concerns me along with withdrawn polyps in the water. I'm going to have to write this one off and monitor the other LPS in the tank.

Thanks to all who responded with advice.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown jelly looks like brown melting tentacles and often brown bubbles over the head. If you see that, act quickly... Carefully remove the jelly with a baster--sucking it in and disposing outside the tank--not basting it all over the tank. Best to remove coral to treat, but try to remove the jelly in place first (it will loosen and spread easily if moving the coral with it still there). If multiple heads, consider just cutting and tossing the infected head. If another coral has it pop up consider cipro or chemiclean for tank treatment IMO. There are threads there.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown jelly looks like brown melting tentacles and often brown bubbles over the head. If you see that, act quickly... Carefully remove the jelly with a baster--sucking it in and disposing outside the tank--not basting it all over the tank. Best to remove coral to treat, but try to remove the jelly in place first (it will loosen and spread easily if moving the coral with it still there). If multiple heads, consider just cutting and tossing the infected head. If another coral has it pop up consider cipro or chemiclean for tank treatment IMO. There are threads there.

We all should have your screen name

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back