Does NSW seed dry rock?

sivakc89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi If I were to set up a new tank with few pounds of super dry coral rock and aragonite sand (not live) use NSW (from clean source) would it seed my dry rock? How long will it to look beautiful like live rock?

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the source of your NSW. Tropical vs temperate. Near vs off shore?

I use near shore temperate NSW for all three of my tanks and I haven't noticed any tangible contribution beyond some interesting sponges and a few hitch-hiker shrimp. Suspect tropical water might add more.

OP
OP
S

sivakc89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the source of your NSW. Tropical vs temperate. Near vs off shore?

I use near shore temperate NSW for all three of my tanks and I haven't noticed any tangible contribution beyond some interesting sponges and a few hitch-hiker shrimp. Suspect tropical water might add more.
I have a friend who is a fisherman he goes fishing in deep sea, he said he can manage to get a barrel of water 40 miles away from shore whenever I need it free of cost..u think it’s better than synthetic salt (it’s a fish only tank with few dry rocks and non live arogonite sand)

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend who is a fisherman he goes fishing in deep sea, he said he can manage to get a barrel of water 40 miles away from shore whenever I need it free of cost..u think it’s better than synthetic salt (it’s a fish only tank with few dry rocks and non live arogonite sand)
Get a batch and test it. Being 40 miles off I'd suspect it's going to be pretty good but really depends on your location, the currents and any pollution sources. I switched from synthetic to NSW about a year ago and have had no issues and corals seem to respond positively after each water change. I do live in Tasmania so very small population and minimal pollution.

OP
OP
S

sivakc89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a batch and test it. Being 40 miles off I'd suspect it's going to be pretty good but really depends on your location, the currents and any pollution sources. I switched from synthetic to NSW about a year ago and have had no issues and corals seem to respond positively after each water change. I do live in Tasmania so very small population and minimal pollution.
Ok thanks a ton for replying

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi If I were to set up a new tank with few pounds of super dry coral rock and aragonite sand (not live) use NSW (from clean source) would it seed my dry rock? How long will it to look beautiful like live rock?
Likely yes. Regardless of where it is from, NSW will contain a variety of microorganisms, including nitrifiers, that even if not 'optimally adapted' to your specific water conditions, will nonetheless still likely be able to colonize your aquarium. Their nitrification capacity though, may not be optimal.

OP
OP
S

sivakc89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely yes. Regardless of where it is from, NSW will contain a variety of microorganisms, including nitrifiers, that even if not 'optimally adapted' to your specific water conditions, will nonetheless still likely be able to colonize your aquarium. Their nitrification capacity though, may not be optimal.
Thanks a lot

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, there is only a tiny number of nitrifiers and other organisms that are part of the Nitrogen cycle in free water. Most of it has been shown to be in our rocks and then our sand. NSW may seed your dry rock, but if you are getting open ocean water I would not count on it. You would be much better to use bacteria in a bottle or even better, a piece of rock/rubble from an established tank or from a clean area in sea (if legal).

Age_of_Aquarius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never considered NSW. I live in Tampa, FL and have Hillsborough bay is within walking distance of my house. If I were to test this water and parameters are good, could I use it?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admit I am guessing, but I cant imagine it would make any real noticeable difference to "seeding" your dry rock. Given time all tanks would cycle and bacteria populate the rocks with or without adding NSW or anything else. Maybe slightly faster with NSW I guess. On the other hand a $10 bottle of bacteria can drastically increase the cycle time and seems like so much less trouble.

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never considered NSW. I live in Tampa, FL and have Hillsborough bay is within walking distance of my house. If I were to test this water and parameters are good, could I use it?

I'd suggest doing what I did and get an ICP test done it to get the full picture. Home testing wont pick up all the heavy metals, pollutants etc. After that you can then test batches to make sure nothing changes drastically with N, P etc.

Age_of_Aquarius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest doing what I did and get an ICP test done it to get the full picture. Home testing wont pick up all the heavy metals, pollutants etc. After that you can then test batches to make sure nothing changes drastically with N, P etc.
Any recs where to get an iCP test ?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 80 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back