Does paraguard have malachite green?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if paraguard still has malachite green in it. I know @Jay Hemdal mentioned it was a blend of that and aldehyde but I am concerned to use it on the hospital tank at my part time lfs job since I have heard malachite green to be possible harmful to people and the fish.

For reference, the tanks is a general hospital tank for fish that have something wrong. We have been dosing metro and kana but that can get expensive so we are looking for an alternative. In the future, it will likely be api general cure dosed (since flukes appear to be the most common issue).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone think my concern is reasonable? I'm just overly anxious in general haha

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone think my concern is reasonable? I'm just overly anxious in general haha
Yes it contains malachite green. Our vets require that we keep this product in a chemical cabinet. We have malachite green powder that they keep locked in a safe….so yes, it something to be wary of.
I’ve never had paraguard work for me in marine systems….
Jay

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it contains malachite green. Our vets require that we keep this product in a chemical cabinet. We have malachite green powder that they keep locked in a safe….so yes, it something to be wary of.

Has it worked for you in freshwater?

It seems like it's just an ich treatment with glutaraldehyde instead of formaldehyde.

Seachem claims it treats viral, fungal, and bacterial infections. And people believe them.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it worked for you in freshwater?

It seems like it's just an ich treatment with glutaraldehyde instead of formaldehyde.

Seachem claims it treats viral, fungal, and bacterial infections. And people believe them.
It used to work really well for me in FW about 20 years ago. I wonder if the formula has changed?
I can see it working on FW saprolegnea fungus, but not viral or bacterial issues.
Jay

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay

My only experience with it was that fish with brooklynella (who were not looking well), ended up looking far better immediately after it was used. Obviously this doesn't really say if it was that or metroplex that we were dosing previously, but I try my best to save these fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only experience with it was that fish with brooklynella (who were not looking well), ended up looking far better immediately after it was used. Obviously this doesn't really say if it was that or metroplex that we were dosing previously, but I try my best to save these fish.
The aldehydes in it should work for brooklynella, I’ve only tried it against ich in marine fish.
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back