Does Prime actually "Detoxify" free ammonia, NH3?

Dan_P

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
No response on this in two weeks.

I sent this email and got (automated) confirmation that it was recieved on 10/2. And another (automated) confirmation three days later "Sorry for the delay..." etc.
But nothing else. So no enlightening discussions with seachem techs to share.
Still interested.

By the way, I am in the process of validating the Seachem Alert film to detect NH3 reduction with ClorAm-X, another dechlorinator and ammonia consuming chemical. I have patent data on how it is supposed to perform. If I can reproduce that, the film is “validated”. Nothing to report yet. I will also validate the Seneye and the Pacific Sentry films. When that is done, I will attempt to detect Prime ammonia reduction activity.

Avast

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
No response on this in two weeks.

I sent this email and got (automated) confirmation that it was recieved on 10/2. And another (automated) confirmation three days later "Sorry for the delay..." etc.
But nothing else. So no enlightening discussions with seachem techs to share.
Call them

ingchr1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
"Binding" ammonia does not have any clear definition, so it is not possible to answer the question.

IF you tell me what you mean by bind, I'll answer the questions.

FWIW, I know of materials that will "bind" ammonia/ammonium and reduce the toxicity (e.g., certain zeolites), and others that will bind ammonia and not reduce the toxicity (say, acetate, where the binding is simple ionic binding) that will not end up appreciably reducing free ammonia. .

Bind as used by Seachem.

Screenshot_20211016-170259_Edge.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Bind as used by Seachem.

Screenshot_20211016-170259_Edge.jpg

Unfortunately, the term "bind" isn't any more meaningful when Seachem writes it than when you do. :)

Tidal Gardens

ingchr1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Unfortunately, the term "bind" isn't any more meaningful when Seachem writes it than when you do. :)
I see. I was trying to ask questions that I thought were directly related to the task at hand "Does Prime actually detoxify free ammonia NH3". Seachem states it "binds", that's why my questions used the term bind. I will not ask questions in the future, as they appear to have no meaning.

Last edited:
OP
T

taricha

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Does Prime actually detoxify free ammonia NH3". Seachem states it "binds", that's why my questions used the term bind.
To expand on Randy's point about the Seachem description being too vague to be meaningful...
Seachem's literal description could just as easily be applied if it did nothing at all to ammonia except lower pH.

Does a pH drop "bind" NH3? Yes, into NH4+
Is it detoxified? Yes, NH4+ is pretty much harmless.
Is it still available to nitrifiers? Yes, definitely.
So yes, even a few drops of acid could literally (narrowly) meet the description of what seachem says Prime does.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I see. I was trying to ask questions that I thought were directly related to the task at hand "Does Prime actually detoxify free ammonia NH3". Seachem states it "binds", that's why my questions used the term bind. I will not ask questions in the future, as they appear to have no meaning.

I'm not trying to discourage questions. That's the whole purpose of this forum. :)

Unfortunately, Seachem does not give sufficient info to say anything particularly useful about how Prime works.

Dan_P

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I vote ”don’t give up asking questions” :)

Top Shelf Aquatics

Toys For Kids Drive

Untitled-2 copy.jpg

Have you ever had a nano reef tank?

• I have one now (leave a photo in the thread)

Votes: 222 46.0%
  • Yes, but in the past

Votes: 107 22.2%
  • No and no plans to have one

Votes: 82 17.0%
  • No but I want to have one in the future

Votes: 64 13.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 1.7%
Battlecorals