Does QT do more harm than good!

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

So I wanted to share this one, story goes on NOV 4th I purchased one Racoon butterfly, two Punctato butterflies and a Black velvet angel. Only the Angel was eating from the shop, which is no big surprise out here in Hong Kong from the poor conditions fish are kept, and the very bad handling procedures. Fish are other in the shops for a week before they either die or get sold. Unfortunately due to the very low price they demand here their not valued as they should be.

I had them in a 12g tank (yes this was a little small I know) with HOB filter/cycled sponges from main sump, Pvc tubing and heater. And of course ammonia badge.
Temp was always at 24-25*

Day 2 prazi Pro.
Day 7 water change 80%

The two Punctato butterflies I never once saw eat, however they were not losing weight so I wasn't all that concerned as its not unusual.

Racoon. Started eating on about day 4 and angel from the moon he got in there.

All looked good for about 10days, no signs of desease. I was getting ready to introduce them into the DT but on day 13 saw the angel in an angel that revealed a number of white spots. (pic below)

So Day 13 Cupramin for 2 weeks
After day 23 all white spots were gone, but one of the Punctato butterflies showed in rot on his tail.

Day 23 50% water change carbon added

Day 25 all fish were at the top looked like they were gasping for oxygen.

Day 25 100% water changed and air stone added.

Fish looked immediately better, swimming as usual but the fin rot was worse. At this point noone was eating.

Day 26 carbon removed and Ruby Reef Rally added

Day 27 one Punctato dies with bad fin rot and red lesions.

Day 28 all three remaining fish look bad, at the top looking for oxygen, not swimming much, but no viable signs of desease apart from looking a bit thin.

Day 28 other Punctato butterfly dies with some tail fin missing.

Day 28 angel and Racoon moved into a bucket of water from DT. (at this point I was concerned about the water in QT tank) within 20 min angel died. Racoon passed away 1 hour later.

All meds were administered as per instructions, which i normally follow unless ihave a sensative fish. Then copper is ramped up over 4 days.

Could I have done anything differently, I'm sure, would it have saved them? I have no idea.

Whatever this bacterial infection was it whipped out 4 fish in 48 hours. Has this put me off quarenteen? Not a chance, I can only say I'm very happy that I did qt these fish and not introduce this into my DT, although I don't have a huge amount of fish or money invested in the DT the lives I have in the are all valuble.

I hope this encourages people to QT, or at least but fish that have already been through Qt. This is just me own opinion and I understand there are reasons why other are against QT. But I do know that losing 4 fish now saved another 21 lives.

I have another 30G QT running currently with a 7" Bluefaced angel who is doing very well and has even got to know the cats by name. So on that note I leave you with a few pictures and maybe someone can I'd this desease (without a microscope )

20211206_112832.jpg 20211204_221154.jpg 20211204_221209.jpg 20211204_221226.jpg 20211111_224751.jpg 20211029_225753.jpg

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they were placed in the main tank they still probably would of stressed out and the bacteria would of probably killed the fish in the dt. Qt is used to monitor the health first and any parasites. Sorry for your loss, I've been to asian pet stores and they aren't the best. That might have been a factor in this also

Justin_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly why I have an observation tank (QT) and a hospital tank. I have found some nasty parasites and infections during QT and I care a lot about the fish I have in my display. I would never risk their lives.

My observation tank is a 40G breeder with LR, sand, HOB filter, heater, macro algae...I use this to check for diseases, get fish eating, ect. If I find diseases then they go to the hospital tank (also 40G breeder but not running all the time). The observation tank goes fallow for 4 months after new fish have left the tank, so it's empty often and I only buy fish in groups so I can QT several at a time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back