Does Raising tank temp lessen velvet Fallow Period?

optimisticdingo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently placing my 40-Gallon Breeder on a Fallow Period after having a tank wipe caused by velvet. I know that raising the temp can lessen the Fallow Period for ICH but does the same thing happen with velvet? Has anyone found any research discussing this?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Because Velvet is highly contagious and usually far advanced before being diagnosed, it is important to take steps to treat it as soon as possible.1 Treatment is targeted at the free-swimming stage (tomite) of the parasite. Copper sulfate is the treatment of choice. It should be used according to the manufacturer’s instructions for a full ten days to ensure that the parasite is completely eradicated. Atabrine (quinacrine hydrochloride) is another medication that can be used to treat Velvet.
Because Oödinium is dependent on light, dimming the aquarium lights aids in eliminating the infestation. Increasing the water temperature to 82 degrees F will speed the life cycle of the parasite, making it faster to treat and infestation. Adding salt to the water (1 to 3 level teaspoons per gallon of water) will increase the mucus production of the fish to help deter the parasite (although i choose to not raise it past 1.027) and will reduce the osmotic stress in the water. Whenever adding any treatment to the aquarium water, activated carbon should be removed from the filter, as it will remove the drugs from the water.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently placing my 40-Gallon Breeder on a Fallow Period after having a tank wipe caused by velvet. I know that raising the temp can lessen the Fallow Period for ICH but does the same thing happen with velvet? Has anyone found any research discussing this?
No, there are no studies - Noga says the tomonts stop dividing above 86 degrees.
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back