Does RedSea powerbars work in RS app like Apex stuff? Anyone move away from Apex?

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if the power bars that come with the new RedSea equipment work with their app?

I'm getting kinda burned on Apex and with RS having all their own gear now (minus water testing and leak sensors/FMM type stuff), I'm thinking of just putting Apex and Neptune Systems in the back of my mind with the Netscape browser. Has anyone else found success with anything better (GHL looks too dang ugly as software, only works on Windows says a lot about the development capabilities).

I know Red Sea lights lack any real control on spectrum, my largest beef with them but their dosing pumps, powerheads, etc seem to be reasonable.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my experience, ReefBeat can be tricky to establish WiFi connectivity. I own two ReefWave 45's and the ReefDose 4, all of which were a PITA to get connected. The ReefDose is still using a mobile hotspot as it would never connect. RedSea support told me it was my router. I've tried two different new routers and had the same issue. Never an issue with Apex.

OP
OP
OfficeReefer

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, ReefBeat can be tricky to establish WiFi connectivity. I own two ReefWave 45's and the ReefDose 4, all of which were a PITA to get connected. The ReefDose is still using a mobile hotspot as it would never connect. RedSea support told me it was my router. I've tried two different new routers and had the same issue. Never an issue with Apex.
True, there... easier to have one be disconnected than four or five. My Apex only works via wifi because they use older hardware from the Xbox 360 but I do agree, RS needs to make a bit more effort on the expressif chipsets they use in their hardware.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I might be in the minority but I have never had a single Red Sea product I was impressed with long term. I can't imagine trusting my tank to any type of control from them.

Many of my Neptune items are 7 years old and never had a single failure to date. If you want app control over some plugs, get a Kasa power strip and be done.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea makes good rollermats, their dosing pumps are decent but inferior to a DOS if you already own an apex. Their pumps are just licensed gyres. I like the ice cap versions better for a gyre style, and prefer both vortechs and neptune wav over either. Their lights are hot garbage.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of my Neptune items are 7 years old and never had a single failure to date. If you want app control over some plugs, get a Kasa power strip and be done.
This. Most of my neptune equipment was manufactured between 2012 and 2017. I had a head unit network card fail, but still controlled everything after 8 years and had a display fail after 7. Even at that age, most people still get $100 off a replacement head unit. Everything else works as good as day 1.

jx.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefBeat connectivity is truly horrid. I have two reefwaves/reefdose that randomly disconnect and are a huge headache to get back online. The hardware seems reliable but I’d never trust RS for anything considered tank life support.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back