Does Seachem prime inhibit beneficial bacteria

jayreef2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last couple of days, my tank has experience a nitrite spike. Readings went from 0 to 2 ppm. I bought Seachem Prime in order to combat the nitrite spike. Does Seachem Prime inhibit beneficial bacteria in the tank?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's fine to use, but I would just ignore a nitrite spike anyways. It's not harmful in saltwater like it is in freshwater. Is it a new tank? Generally nitrite and ammonia stay 0 or near undetectable unless the tank is brand new.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't according to seachem. Then again, seachem doesn't seem to know how this product works (or won't say). If you had a nitrite spike, consider if there was something that may have upset the bacteria, since nitrite removing bacteria can act as an indicator species according to dr tim

OP
OP
J

jayreef2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't according to seachem. Then again, seachem doesn't seem to know how this product works (or won't say). If you had a nitrite spike, consider if there was something that may have upset the bacteria, since nitrite removing bacteria can act as an indicator species according to dr tim
Ok thanks for the reply. My tank has been up for 21 days. I used fritz turbo start to cycle the tank. My nitrites and ammonia were at 0 after two weeks. Initial reading were 5 ppm for both ammonium and nitrite. I added ammonium hydroxide to cycle the tank. In the 2nd week my nitrates spiked to over 50 ppm. Over the course of two days I did multiple water changes. I was able to lower my nitrates to 17.6. During the nitrate spike I removed the bio balls in order to use algone nitrate remover. Removing the bio balls probably caused my issue(I thought I had enough bio filter with live sand and live rock to cover the removal). I still was getting 0 readings on ammonium and nitrite so I assumed my tank was cycled. I went out and got midas blenny. After two initial feedings my nitrite spiked to 2 ppm. Remarkably my midas blenny has not perished. I checked the readings this morning. My nitrite was reading .50 ppm. If my reading is still the same tomorrow, I am going to add Seachem and do a water change. My Blenny is still ok. He has only been in my aquarium for two days. He did eat a little bit yesterday before the spike. He hangs out in his cave. I didnt realize Blennies were that hardy of a fish. I assumed he would have died after the spike.

OP
OP
J

jayreef2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes its a new tank. Been up for 21 days

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last couple of days, my tank has experience a nitrite spike. Readings went from 0 to 2 ppm. I bought Seachem Prime in order to combat the nitrite spike. Does Seachem Prime inhibit beneficial bacteria in the tank?

I do not believe it did ANYTHING useful for nitrite. Nitrite is not toxic at any level you are likely to encounter, and it is unlikely Seachem does anything to nitrite anyway (despite random claims they make).

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back