Does the paint color of the inside of the stand matter?

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm almost ready to prep and pain the inside of my stand and starting thinking about paint color. My current plan is to use one the appliance-epoxy/Killz/RedGard recommendations and paint it white - it always looks so nice and clean and bright with a door-triggered LED. :)

That said, I started wondering, since I'm going to have a refugium with a light in the stand, is using white paint just helping to bounce algae-growing light everywhere else in the sump and going to encourage algae growth outside of the fuge? Has anyone run into this?

I look forward to your hearing your thoughts/experiences,
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inside of my stand is black and I still get light some light bouncing off and growing algae. It's very limited but still happens. So IMO just paint it whatever color you wish:) I love the look of a fresh white stand. If you're really worried you can line the inside of your fuge with black acrylic.

Reefpuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue I've ever noticed with light bouncing around in the stand is it reflecting outside of the stand...into the room. There shouldn't be any issues with algae though. I always paint my fuge tank black on the outside...to keep the light from "leaking" out of the stand as much as possible.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color in my opinion doesn't matter, my color is black. What does matter that the paint is water repellent paint. Also tip if you have any clear or even tinted tubing under your tank wrap them in electrical tape or duct tape, this will stop algae growth inside the tube and stop flow.

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue I've ever noticed with light bouncing around in the stand is it reflecting outside of the stand...into the room. There shouldn't be any issues with algae though. I always paint my fuge tank black on the outside...to keep the light from "leaking" out of the stand as much as possible.

My fuge is black on three sides - at least I can look in the side and enjoy whatever I end up putting in there. ;)

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color in my opinion doesn't matter, my color is black. What does matter that the paint is water repellent paint. Also tip if you have any clear or even tinted tubing under your tank wrap them in electrical tape or duct tape, this will stop algae growth inside the tube and stop flow.

Oooh I like the tip about the clear tubing. If I end up with it, I will absolutely wrap it. Thanks!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back