Does the temperature of the food affect your fish?

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know fish will basically attack even a frozen solid cube but does feeding fish food that hasn't been thawed or is cold do anything to their health? I don't imagine a 20 degree F piece of mysis thawing out in the fish's stomach being any good

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know fish will basically attack even a frozen solid cube but does feeding fish food that hasn't been thawed or is cold do anything to their health? I don't imagine a 20 degree F piece of mysis thawing out in the fish's stomach being any good
I always hold it in my fingers while it's thawing. Little bits come off and the fish go after them.
Wouldn't want to give them brain freeze. ;)

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if there will be any health side effects but I think of it like this, I try to replicate the wild environment as close as I possibly can, and thats why I always thaw food in tank water for an hour or two before feeding to atleast get it at water tank temp before feeding. In the wild they dont eat anything freezing cold, usually it is same temp as the surrounding water, so why should it be any different in the tanks.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always just break off some frozen reef frenzy thaw it in small cup for about 5 or 10 minutes then pour in. Sometimes still cold but they really don’t mind. And if there is ONE thing I am doing right is I have fat happy fish. Corals are another story. Lol

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think there’s any health problems with feeding them while it’s still frozen. When I would throw a cube in without thawing it, invariably one of the fish would grab it and hoard it from the other fish.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I throw frozen chunks of LRS directly in the tank and my fish seem to be fine with that. It’s very convenient for me. If it’s too cold for the fish then they can swim patiently and wait for it to defrost lol.

LRS stinks like heck…according to anyone who’s been in the same room with it (even in its frozen state). Makes the family want to vomit. Luckily, I’m born with almost no sense of smell lol.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s too frozen when they eat it, holding a lot of plain water, I wonder when that water melts inside them, would that affect the fish’s salinity lvls?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not noticed any problems dropping frozen food in the tank. Sometimes I stick it on the side of a wavemaker and that unfreezes it almost instantly.
My eels will not eat frozen shrimp/squid until it gets to tank temperature.

Back