Does the yellow coris wrasse require sand like the other wrasses?

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Parsec, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Parsec

Parsec Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Curious about your experiences with yellow coris wrasses. Of all the wrasses i have had he is the only one who doesn't bury in the sand. Never once.
    Now some googling shows that some people's seem to. What is your experience?
    I am considering him for my frag tank to control some flatworms but i do not keep sand in the frag tank. There is however a ton of live rock and places to hide.

Tags:

2. Salty1962

Salty1962 Wrasse and SPS Lover R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

That's very unusual, they are sand boring fish. How coarse is your sand bed? It may be too coarse and that's why he isn't sleeping in your sand bed. You need a 2-3" fine sand, at least 1.0~1.25mm, bed for them to hide in.

eatbreakfast likes this.
  3. Denvercherub

Denvercherub Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Mine has buried itself for days... I thought it died once but showed up again.

4. Parsec

I have a pretty deep sand bed, about three/four inches. And it is very fine. We wanted to avoid course sand so they would have somewhere to sleep. Donno....maybe hes just a weirdo.

5. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member

That is odd as they are a sand burying species.

4FordFamily and ebushrow like this.
  6. ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

I would at least still offer a sand bed for him, a glass dish or someone recommended a reptile water dish which I thought might be a neat idea.

eatbreakfast and ebushrow like this.
  7. Bluecbs

Bluecbs Well-Known Member

...you might be having a juve or female banana wrasse.....:rolleyes:

8. ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

Hmm interesting...

OP, can you post a picture of your wrasse?

9. Parsec

I would love to but hes near impossible to photograph.
    He has the wrasse shape like the leopard, only a little more sleek. And he has a little black circle on his dorsal fin, like an eye.
    The only thing I can think of is he has to be burying very late when i dont see it. I think i will refrain from moving him to the frag tank, he seems happy enough.

10. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

That's definitely the halichoeres yellow "coris" wrasse (not a coris at all). But not a juvenile or female banana wrasse. That was however a good thought.

Indeed, they do sleep in the sand. I've seen a few of them sleep under rock ledges if wedged well, but it is strange that it doesn't want to burrow in the sand as they are, as said, sand-burrowing wrasse.

ngoodermuth likes this.
  11. ngoodermuth

That's a juvi h. chrysus for sure then, it is weird if he's not taking to the sand. Hopefully, he's just being quirky and not ill.

Keep a look out for any of these symptoms, just in case:

Fish disease diagnostic check-list

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Fish-disease-diagnostic-check-list.306975/

12. Parsec

He has no symptoms. Heh as been in the tank for almost a year now. He eats, he kinda riles up the other fish sometimes, and hes curious about new stuff.

13. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member

He is probably burying at a later time.