Does this cover everything for testing?

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just setting up my first tank (RS 525) and will start with setting up a 20g quarantine tank. Does the below cover the testing equipment I need?

Hanna HI98319 Salinity Meter
Hanna HI781 Nitrate Meter
Hanna HI736 Ultra-Low Phosphate
Hanna HI782 Alkalnity dKH Meter
Hanna HI758 Calcium Meter
Hanna HI764 Utra-Low Nitrite
Magnesium Test Kit

Thanks.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toss the Hanna Calcium meter and get a Salifert. Don't need the Nitrite meter, you will use it for cycling and then never again.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with above. The Hanna calcium is a pain. I like the regular Salifert test.

for po4: I got the low range tester (ppb) and ended up getting the regular one (ppm). The low range would max out with my parameters. At least in the beginning. But they both work well and are easy to use.

I have never used the new nitrate tester but would like to get one to test it out. The nitrite will not be used after you cycle.

personally I would not get the nitrite tester and get a decent ph tester. Also: I like Salifert for Mag tests personally.

good luck and HAPPY REEFING!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, good catch. I think you want Hanna HI774, Ultra Low Range PO4 PPM. HI736 is Phosphorous ULR.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hanna calcium is terrible, would not recommend it. There are quite a few good and simple calcium ones out there.

Nitrite is not very valuable once tank is cycled.

Hanna's alkalinity meter is fantastic, and I have been very happy with it. Very easy, which allows replicating the test accurately consistent.

The ULR Phosphorus is accurate but kind of a pain in the butt. At one point you have to shake the vile for 2 straight minutes. Because of how annoying it is I tend to rarely do this test. The Sailfert one is good but the sensitivity is way lower and you are trying to decipher different shades of blue.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Calcium checker works great as long as you use distilled water instead of RO/DI. I have the Hanna Alk, Calcium, and Phosphate (HI774) checkers. I test Alk & Phospate several times a week. Calcium, once or twice a month. Tank is almost two years old with 20+ SPS frags and several LPS.

I don't think you'll use the Nitrite checker more than once or twice. Both ammonia and nitrite go to zero after tank cycle and should stay there. I never check either. On QT tank, I use Seachem ammonia badge ( think it lasts for a year), too.

The Hanna Nitrate checker is low range and very difficult (from reading the two people's posts who've purchased it). I use NYOS test.

For magnesium and potassium, I use Salifert or Red Sea. For salinity, a simple refractometer that you look through.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally like the Hanna checkers, but it's always worth reading the instructions before purchasing them. Some (such as the Ca test) is more of a pain than other methods. Personally, I prioritize tests as

1. "Reliable, easy to use digital" -- like Hanna salinity, Alk, and phosphate / phosphorous.
2. "Simple, low error tests" -- like titration tests. Salifert Mg, Ca
3. "Anyone's guess" -- color reading / interpretation. So most nitrate tests, etc.

OP
OP
RickLRMS

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toss the Hanna Calcium meter and get a Salifert. Don't need the Nitrite meter, you will use it for cycling and then never again.
Thanks for the reply. So a Salifert Calcium test kit in place of the Hanna Calcium meter, understood. On the Nitrite meter are you suggesting I don't need anything to test nitrites or are you saying just get a test kit? I am assuming I'll need something when cycling the tank, both quarantine tanks and my main tank as well. Right?
Thanks again.

OP
OP
RickLRMS

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with above. The Hanna calcium is a pain. I like the regular Salifert test.

for po4: I got the low range tester (ppb) and ended up getting the regular one (ppm). The low range would max out with my parameters. At least in the beginning. But they both work well and are easy to use.

I have never used the new nitrate tester but would like to get one to test it out. The nitrite will not be used after you cycle.

personally I would not get the nitrite tester and get a decent ph tester. Also: I like Salifert for Mag tests personally.

good luck and HAPPY REEFING!
Thanks for the reply. So the Hanna HI713 low range phosphate checker is more useful than the ultra-low? Thanks for that; as mentioned, this is my first reef tank (and first any tank in 20 or so years). Thanks for the input on the Mag test.

OP
OP
RickLRMS

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hanna calcium is terrible, would not recommend it. There are quite a few good and simple calcium ones out there.

Nitrite is not very valuable once tank is cycled.

Hanna's alkalinity meter is fantastic, and I have been very happy with it. Very easy, which allows replicating the test accurately consistent.

The ULR Phosphorus is accurate but kind of a pain in the butt. At one point you have to shake the vile for 2 straight minutes. Because of how annoying it is I tend to rarely do this test. The Sailfert one is good but the sensitivity is way lower and you are trying to decipher different shades of blue.
Thanks for the input. These replies have given me more to think on than I anticipated. On the Nitrite, are you suggesting get a kit instead or that testing nitrite isn't necessary at all?

OP
OP
RickLRMS

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Calcium checker works great as long as you use distilled water instead of RO/DI. I have the Hanna Alk, Calcium, and Phosphate (HI774) checkers. I test Alk & Phospate several times a week. Calcium, once or twice a month. Tank is almost two years old with 20+ SPS frags and several LPS.

I don't think you'll use the Nitrite checker more than once or twice. Both ammonia and nitrite go to zero after tank cycle and should stay there. I never check either. On QT tank, I use Seachem ammonia badge ( think it lasts for a year), too.

The Hanna Nitrate checker is low range and very difficult (from reading the two people's posts who've purchased it). I use NYOS test.

For magnesium and potassium, I use Salifert or Red Sea. For salinity, a simple refractometer that you look through.
Thanks for the input; lots to take in when starting out in this hobby. I'll look into the NYOS; @((FORDTECH)) suggested that as well.

OP
OP
RickLRMS

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally like the Hanna checkers, but it's always worth reading the instructions before purchasing them. Some (such as the Ca test) is more of a pain than other methods. Personally, I prioritize tests as

1. "Reliable, easy to use digital" -- like Hanna salinity, Alk, and phosphate / phosphorous.
2. "Simple, low error tests" -- like titration tests. Salifert Mg, Ca
3. "Anyone's guess" -- color reading / interpretation. So most nitrate tests, etc.
Thanks; nicely detailed on the priority. Appreciate the thoughtful response.

Back