Does this indicate the ugly stage is coming to an end!?

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 8 months in to this tank and for the past few months I’ve been dealing with nasty green hair algae on this rock, however a significant transformation occurred over the last week!

Does this mean the ugly stage is finally coming to an end?! Is there anything else I should be doing to seal the deal?

568F05B4-3CD6-42E5-9EEA-A4E3A2E43739.jpeg 4B7338D5-54BF-4BDB-A9DC-C8C56AC71AC8.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find some coraline on a snail or hermit and scrape it off into a wavemaker.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 8 months in to this tank and for the past few months I’ve been dealing with nasty green hair algae on this rock, however a significant transformation occurred over the last week!

Does this mean the ugly stage is finally coming to an end?! Is there anything else I should be doing to seal the deal?

568F05B4-3CD6-42E5-9EEA-A4E3A2E43739.jpeg 4B7338D5-54BF-4BDB-A9DC-C8C56AC71AC8.jpeg
Nice! Did you do anything special to get this result?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a reef tank is like having a kid. No sleep, total chaos for 8 months, then a groove happens. They tie there shoes, the sleep for 8 hours, they stop screaming, for four months, then total chaos again. After about 10 years things start to mellow out, then... puberty. It is a roller coaster, hang on to your hat!

OP
OP
SharkRacer

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled off as much as I could by hand, added a CUC with an emerald crab, added ~20 more lbs of live rock, then did a water change.

All of these things are good but I still feel Iike this is kind of a miracle happening before my eyes!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled off as much as I could by hand, added a CUC with an emerald crab, added ~20 more lbs of live rock, then did a water change.

All of these things are good but I still feel Iike this is kind of a miracle happening before my eyes!

You did good! I set up a tank with some live rock about a year ago and it had a nice green forest... I just added some standard CUC and waited.. did normal water changes and didn't' stress... rock clean as a whistle now.

OP
OP
SharkRacer

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did good! I set up a tank with some live rock about a year ago and it had a nice green forest... I just added some standard CUC and waited.. did normal water changes and didn't' stress... rock clean as a whistle now.
Why does the green algae die out? Seems like it was super lush and I couldn’t imagine it disappearing but it’s happening!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does the green algae die out? Seems like it was super lush and I couldn’t imagine it disappearing but it’s happening!

combination of CUC eating/picking at it and other organisms gaining ground and using resources whether that be space or nutrients and so on.

This was mine... the brown lightbulb nem to the top right and a nice green/brown forest

1660189067802.png

Same tank a month later... can see the lightbulb nem to the right again and a sparkly clean rock.

1660189113546.png

I did nothing but add a few snails (trochus), 1 emerald crab, and a tiny ORA tuxedo urchin. Better then a $30 bottle of vibrant any day.

OP
OP
SharkRacer

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
combination of CUC eating/picking at it and other organisms gaining ground and using resources whether that be space or nutrients and so on.

This was mine... the brown lightbulb nem to the top right and a nice green/brown forest

1660189067802.png

Same tank a month later... can see the lightbulb nem to the right again and a sparkly clean rock.

1660189113546.png

I did nothing but add a few snails (trochus), 1 emerald crab, and a tiny ORA tuxedo urchin. Better then a $30 bottle of vibrant any day.
Impressive for just one month!

b breef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s about the age of my tank. Mines few months ahead but I dealt with gha and others up till only a month ago. Crazy amounts of manual maintenance and after adding a bottle of corline,- many age of tank- I finally have clean rocks. Stay the corse and you’ll be fine.
i dont know if coralline helps that much but I certainly see a huge difference in only a few month of growth!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s about the age of my tank. Mines few months ahead but I dealt with gha and others up till only a month ago. Crazy amounts of manual maintenance and after adding a bottle of corline,- many age of tank- I finally have clean rocks. Stay the corse and you’ll be fine.
i dont know if coralline helps that much but I certainly see a huge difference in only a few month of growth!
That’s interesting and encouraging! Good luck.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back